FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

RoomEQ Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RoomEQ Options
    Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 8:12am
Good morning all,

Following on from the on-going discussion about new speakers for my PC system which will be in a small home "office" (1.79 x 1.73m), I am intrigued to hear about your experiences with using standalone rome eq processors. I have an Antimode 8033c for the subs in my cinema room and Audyssey XT32 (built into the AVR) for those speakers but I'm interested to hear about the processors for stereo systems (Antimode 2.0, MiniDSP, etc).

Who wants to start my education?

Thanks in advance,

miT

P.S. Room treatment is also being considered first but there isn't too much room to put clutter, although I have a wall of DVD racks and I'm toying with acoustic foam when I get my speakers.

Edited by miT - 02 Nov 2016 at 8:14am
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:09pm
Hi Tim,

A friend loaned me his MiniDSP units a few years back & I was able to use in my system for about 3 weeks. He set it up for me & this seemed quite a convoluted process. Sound wise, it certainly got my attention as it smoothed out the integration of a subwoofer with my main speakers - using time alignment and room correction (there are other features such as digital crossover which we didn't use). It wasn't perfect & gave a slight digital sounding edge to my analogue sources which I ultimately couldn't live with. Maybe these units have developed since then....

Antimode 2.0 is a less sophisticated device but nevertheless seems to be both effective and easy to use, primarily dealing with subwoofer integration and room correction in the most troublesome frequency range 16-500hz (from my own measurements of various rooms, I have not needed to go beyond ~250hz max so for room eq alone this should be good). It is quite keenly priced and also reviews well, can act as a preamp and although it has a DAC feature, I doubt it is anywhere as smooth as a Graham Slee equivalent (the DEQX units I own have excellent DACs but still not as good as the Accession so I only feed them analogue sources, including the Accession variable analogue output).

The Behringer DEQ2496 unit is also a popular choice although I have read of some quality issues and shorter lifespans - this may reflect in the relatively low price. I am visiting someone locally in a few weeks where his horn based system has recently switched to active using this processor but when I have heard it previously in a different setup it sounded too 'digital' for me, more so than the MiniDSP.

I'm not sure what more I can add because although I use a different system & am experienced in digital speaker measurement/interpretation, I don't have detailed user knowledge setting up any of the products mentioned. They may not deal with absolute phase or timing issues but good speakers should have this well sorted already. What I can say with confidence though is that all should be capable of considerably taming troublesome room nodes, therefore giving a more satisfactory experience if that is what you need.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 9:08pm
I've had some success in the past running JRiver on my MacBook into an off-board DAC feeding headphones and also a small stereo speaker set up. Fiddle, but interesting. Ultimately for me in my space it ended up sounding processed, no doubt a tellingbindicator of the lack of sophistication in the software, but super interesting all the same. JRiver has a lot of options for tailoring sound. Around US$50 for the pleasure.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 11:16pm
I am sure like most of us too have suffered bass hotspots in my room, though never dabbled with EQs.

As equipment and in particularly cables and associated items have been upgraded I have found my bass peaks have gradually reduced. In fact my usual listening position has suffered from this over the years which has led me to sit forward about a foot to reduce this issue.

My most recent connectivity changes have pretty much seen this issue off now I am pleased to say though I do believe the end result could be enhanced with some form or room treatment whether furniture, acoustic treatment or indeed Some form of EQ.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 6:08am
Interesting findings... Has anyone tried any others like Dirac or REQ? Also if given the opportunity to fully acoustically treat a room, do you think you would still need/benefit from an EQ device?
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:35am
Acoustic room treatment is to make the room less reflective but not "dead".

An empty room sounds echoey because of parallel walls. Breaking up the surfaces lets the echoes decay more quickly because they fire off in all directions. Soft furnishings absorb. Speakers are designed for real rooms (or should be).

If your walls, ceiling and floor was made of mirrors you could see the reflection points from your seated position. Instead, using basic school physics you will be able to tell where those reflection points are. Deaden them with something like a curtain or wall rug, or put bookshelfs (with books) where they are.

My office extension will be just as problematic, and I'll try and get some photos on here of how I sort it.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:21pm
Following on from Grahams comments, ask someone else to hold a large(ish) mirror and move it along each wall at listening head height. From the normal seating position, at the points you see a reflection of the speaker this is where sound absorbing materials should be placed to help reduce 'first reflections'.

Answering Tims' second question, digital eq is effective but the reason I use so little of this is partly because I have treated the room & it's also brim-filled with sound dissipating 'clutter' Wink

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic