FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager/Ipod 3.5mm i-lead (at last!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Quabbage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quabbage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 10:49pm
Well I mucked around with AAC, lossless and different decoders for a while and then did the obvious and tried out a different iPod. And it turns out that the Russ Andrews cable works without any issues with an older iPod video I have.

So either my iPod nano is duff or there is an issue between the iPod nano and the Russ Andrews cable.

I have read elsewhere that Apple changed how the dock line out works for the 4th generation iPod nano and newer versions of the iPhone and iPod Touch so I am betting that the cable I have isn't 100% compatible with these newer models (perhaps it is an old cable that has been sent to me).

I have emailed Russ Andrews - well maybe not the Russ Andrews, unless he has a blackberry on his yacht - ;o) so we'll see what happens.

I appreciate that I have hijacked this thread a little from the discussion about the Audio Elevation cable, but hopefully someone else who hears popping or clicking noises from a line out dock in the future may fall upon this thread and come to a conclusion quicker than I managed.

I for one am definitely interested in hearing people's views on how the Audio Elevation cable performs. Also, I know it is accepted wisdom that line out docks are better than using the headphone out but I wonder how much difference (if any) it really makes on the modern iPods?

TG/Darren many thanks for your input on this - much appreciated.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 2:50am

Quabbage, you are welcome.

Glad that you seem to have found a direction in which to proceed.

The "accepted wisdom" is concerned with whether you wish to use, as input to a quality amplifier, the signal before or after it is processed by a lesser quality amplifier.

The line out is the signal before it passes through the onboard amplifier, the headphone out is the signal after passing through that amplifier, the difference will be according to how much the signal is degraded or not, by that amplifier.

In general audio terms, the fewer the active stages in the signal path the better the sound quality, or the less the signal degradation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic