FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New cartridge advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 7:38am
If you can stretch the budget to around £300 I'd strongly recommend the Audio Note IQ1 MM.
It's a modified Goldring 1000 series & will give you an improvement on the 1042.
It will also open up a future upgrade path to the IQ2 & 3 by changing the stylus assembly.

I'm currently running an IQ3 & it is an excellent cartridge - superb tracking, silent backgrounds
& natural open & dynamic sound.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:47am
I agree with Rich - I'm another fan of the IQ3 & once you have the IQ1 body, you can upgrade later to a 2 or 3 stylus. This is the best MM cartridge I have yet owned and perfectly suits my musical tastes.

I use both the 2 & 3 styli & the difference in sound is pretty close, as well as a Goldring 1042 stylus as it's compatible & sounds rather good too. Swapping & changing styli on a MM cartridge is useful if the turntable arm has a fixed headshell.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 6:18pm
Any chance of a photo of the Audionote stylii, Andrew?
I have a DNM Reson Reca just gathering dust, as the replacement stylus is as rare as rocking horse poo.
I have an inkling that the mechanical coupling for the Audionote stylii might well be the same as the DNM one.

The Goldring 1042 stylus fits, but it doesn't sound as good the proper DNM one.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
A few quick photos taken with the phone Chris....

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 8:54pm
Thanks Andrew.
The looks remarkably similar to the DNM assembly, not that I'm surprised about it.
Goldring do/did a bit of OEM supply, as well as cartridge repair.
Didn't Roksan use the same body too?

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 10:52am
The Roksan Chorus is another Goldring 1000 series derivative.
The IQ3 stylus is packaged in a Goldring labelled box - a good thing & shows that a long
established British company are making some of the best cartridges available.

Edited by RichW - 29 Oct 2016 at 11:14am
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic