FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE Review HiFi Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 11:34pm
Sounds like a Kepner Tregoe in action. If used properly it'll help you make decisions however by altering the weighting of each score to produce bias you can create the winner you want.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 6:25am
I shouldn't bother too much about the stars & who won, the review content is what matters. The review is a good one even if the conclusion & the allocation of stars may seem slightly contrary & rankle a bit. Hi-fi is no longer a mass market populated by mindless hoardes of buyers with money to burn, probably never was actually. It's a fairly niche market comprised mostly of people, like us, who actually care about music and its faithful reproduction. Most of them can probably read. Sure, other factors may influence decisions but that's just life

If the extra "features" on the rival products were important to me then that could influence things a bit, likewise with more bling. But I'm pretty sure that if I were in the market for a headphone amp, and had read that group review I would have the Solo ULDE right at the top of my must audition list.

After all that's almost exactly how I arrived at GSP's door all those years ago when I was looking for the best phono stage I could afford.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
hippyeverafter View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hippyeverafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 10:51am
Totally agree with DaveG buying electronics based on a five star review is crazy. How many reviews on sellers sites have you seen being given poor ratings despite having glowing reviews from so called experts. One point in question was i purchased a well known music streamer based on glowing reports however when unpacking and trying to set up it soon became apparent that all was not as it seemed. Returned for a refund but that's the beauty of the internet.
Terry

"You pass life's shop once in your life so buy the best". Proprius, Accession, Solo Ultra Linear, Majestic, CuSat50 Interconnects, Spatia Cable, Thorens TD206, Ortofon Blue, Dali Opticon 2.
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 11:47am
FWIW i actually own the other headphone amp that got joint 2nd place. I bought it back in 2012 before I rejoined the GSP fold and wasn't aware of the Solo at the time. It's a fine sounding amp actually and if the Solo does beat it on SQ, and I wouldn't bet against that being true, then it's a huge compliment to Graham and his products. Being from a mega corporation it does offer, well, Japanese, build quality but that is something all smaller manufacturers will find difficult to match.

Yes it can be used as a pre but I didn't buy it for that and wouldn't recommend it for that use. I've tried it into my Proprius as a way of getting my digital sources up & running (DAC into balanced XLR, Accession into RCA). It's decent but not entirely transparent when used that way.

Edited by DaveG - 08 Oct 2016 at 11:50am
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
thickglass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thickglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 8:01pm
My Solo UL works for me just fine, it's my personal choise. Smile
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Check my math!

I've been reading the Group Test Verdict and I'm questioning my own sanity, or is it HFC's??

We got an overall score of 4.5 stars: (5 + 5 + 4.5 + 4)/4 = 4.65...

The winner got an overal score of 5 stars: (5 + 4 + 5 + 4)/4 = 4.5...

The joint second (with us) got a score of 4.5: (4.5 + 4.5 + 4.5 + 5)/4 = 4.625...

So with the most overall stars (corrected that is) we came joint second???

Or are there other factors at play?

Graham, have you, or anyone else, pointed this out to Hi Fi Choice? It sort of demands some editorial response. I don't ever get to see that magazine but presumably they have a letters page that can be blitzed by "angry of Tunbridge Wells" types? Wink
Derek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic