FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Balanced cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:07pm
You inspired me to rejig my hifi rack so my 0.6m R3 cables could be used again. Very good detailed sound and the signal is halved so I get to use more of the volume control!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:23pm
I never did get my cables converted and thought I would have another extended comparison RCAs vs XLR. Same findings really, greater clarity and subtleties separation of multilayered vocals and more space and greater outreach in all directions from
The speakers. bass was a tab cleaner and more punchy, fraction lighter and tighter. One final point it was more enjoyable to listen to! I will be having them converted at the earliest opportunity. Any chance of balanced cable from new Accession?
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:49pm
I have finally inserted my old remade XLR cable on my CD player.

The plugs are new but the cable has been reterminated.

I undertook a quite test old/new. Whilst there will be a number ofi variables (for example a quick squirt or deoxit gold on the sockets, disturbing the plugs and cables and of course the cables and plugs will not yet be fully burned in again).

So for whichever combination, the sound has changed, the same character and most of the strong attributes remained but there was some lack of focus, integration and naturalness. That apart balance was pretty much the same mamybe upper mid/vocals a touch brighter and detached but the most obvious thing is the ability to listen right through the recording has diminished with precise placement no longer there to the same degree and neither was the flow or fluidity to the music.

Will leave playing at low level for the next week or so to restore to its former best.

I think these were similar sentiments to the burn in attributed to a Majestic review on the forum......
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 2:06am
You are right about the burn-in I think. I find that phono leads and balanced leads take longer than speaker cables. I bought some Cusat50 pairs and a pair of Spatia cables recently, all very fine cables and noticed the speaker sound via Spatias stablised quicker.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic