FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Adding a DAC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 12:48am
Congratulations on the purchase!

If you're going to run a laptop into the Majestic, can I suggest you invest in a USB/coax converter? That way you can run all the way to 24/192 on coax. I have two, the Firestone Audio Blue Key and the M2Tech HiFace Two. Firestone is cheaper and I found it much better than the USB option, and the M2Tech costs twice as much (at least in Australia) but is VERY MUCH superior to the Firestone. The Majestic DAC set up this way (with Lautus digital cable) is excellent. Very, very closely matched to my RP8/2M Black into Relflex M. I no longer have a huge gap between digital and analogue rigs. I should add I've had some very pricey DAC's in my system during the search, and the much cheaper Majestic hit the spot. More money for records and hi-res downloads!
Mick.

http://www.m2tech.biz/en/hiface2.html

http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/bluekey.php

Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:14pm
As I couldn't find where I posted about wanting a DAC or CD player with a warmer sound I've put this post here.
First of all my saving for a new turntable as been going well so now I'm thinking about the future and my CD playing, I now think I've found the solution all be it with two CD players in mind and not a DAC. I went to see a mate and as he had to go and collect his new speakers I took the opportunity to ask the shop about it. They said they have had a lot of people in asking the same question, after giving them my budget they said have you thought about the Rega apollo we have sold a lot of them to people wanting a warmer sound, they also went on to say it seems just like you they have got back into playing vinyl and are now finding CDs sound cold and clinical. I left the shop thinking that's the way to go but my mate went and put a spanner in the works as he had just got a new CD player a pro-j**t Box DS to replace his AudioLab which is the same as I have so we went and compared the two, so now after listening to the DS3 I now have two CD players in mind.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:49pm
You'll know a lot of the cd sound is from the DAC inside. Yes a lot do sound dry and clinical compared to records. Please try the Majestic if only as a benchmark.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Please try the Majestic if only as a benchmark.
This is what I was thinking but I thought if I liked it, I would then want it and that would put me in a dilemma, go for it and then I'd have to put the TT on hold which is someting I don't want to do as I have been saving a long time for it and still am or not get the Majestic and then be thinking I've made a mistake in my choice of CD player. With both the Majestic and turntable that is really pushing me over what I can afford. I did say on here after my last upgrade that would be the last for a very long time, well that's gone out of the window.
It's a dilemma and I don't like it. I suppose I could sod the CD player and turntable and get a pair of GS speaker cables instead.Ermm
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 4:38pm
My priorities have changed. I have been listening to a lot of CD music of late and after listening to the Pr*-J**tCD Box DS3 I have put an order in for one, It did sound warm which is what I was looking for and to my ears it sounded better than my AudioLab 8300CD player, I will be keeping this player as I'm STILL thinking of getting into computer audio and I can use the DAC for this. The new CD player is a CD only no SACD or other formats, so I can't use the DAC for computer audio.
It's my birthday today so the new CD player is my birthday gift to me, I have spend my birthday money on new vinyl records which should come tomorrow, a nice Blondie box set. The new turntable will have to wait that bit longer but this doesn't bother me, as I said my priorities have changed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic