FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Why is my CD player so slow?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

...unless Leema are telling porkies my Antila 2s Eco has their own custom made mechanism and it is both swift and smooth.

That's not quite what they say about it http://www.leema-acoustics.com/product.html?prid=53
The custom servo and the control software will be basically ignoring anything that isn't an audio CD.

Edited by Chris Firth - 17 May 2016 at 10:25pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by jazzcatlee jazzcatlee wrote:

Marantz SA-11S3

So it's an SACD player first, and a CD player second.
It has to interrogate the drive, read the TOC, decide whether it's an SACD hybrid/SACD only/CD disc, and then apply the user preferred option, should a preference be applicable.

Way back there was only CD, so the mechanism could either manage to read the disc or fail to read the disc.
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Originally posted by jazzcatlee jazzcatlee wrote:

Marantz SA-11S3

It has to interrogate the drive, read the TOC, decide whether it's an SACD hybrid/SACD only/CD disc, and then apply the user preferred option, should a preference be applicable.

Way back there was only CD, so the mechanism could either manage to read the disc or fail to read the disc.

Makes sense.
"All the hard ways!"
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

I think that is pretty likely to be the case.  I have one of Marantz current crop of CD Players, the decidedly-more-budget CD6005.  It is a dedicated CD player and I have not noticed any speed issues.  It opens, closes and loads on a par with most of the CD players that I have owned.  It is slightly faster than some in fact as I have had CD changers and slot-loading drives in the past which are slower for obvious reasons.  This is my first non-pc based disc drive to support CD-Text and even that doesn't seem to add anything to the load times.  Only the fact that the drive is tuned to close smoothly stops it being really speedy. 

I've never owned an SACD but the SA11S3 looks like a much more complex prospect with several filters and other circuits that are simply absent from lesser models, not the mention the fundamentally different formats of CD and SACD (PCM vs DSD) means there is a lot more going on in your player than mine.
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 11:10pm
Chris you may well be right on the Leema this was upgraded from the previous versions which I had/still have. Whilst both mechanisms are smooth and quick not sure whether discussion is focused on the drawer mechanism, drive system or ability to read a variety of disc formats. All I would say is that whilst not a sacd format it reads all audio CDs including music. CDs recorded on my computer CD-R without any issues (0n both mark 1 and mark 2).

Cannot recall whether I have tried any cd-rws or not so cannot comment. Speed of reading all
Discs is pretty quick too.
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 7:50pm
The SA11S3 is finicky too. It won't play several discs that were not a problem for other players.
"All the hard ways!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic