FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Help with bass View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Help with bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 10:56am
*I mean a ‘audio balanced mains’ supply, outputting 230v ac .

Edited by Help with bass - 09 Jan 2022 at 10:57am
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Help with bass Help with bass wrote:

apologies for cross-posting.
Question: is the power supply for the Proprius ‘balanced’.?
I don’t own one but it is my next power amp.
I am looking at a ‘audio balanced power supply’ for around £250 retail, and wondering what this might do in the context of my whole system, which includes Accession MM with psu1.
Thank you,
Daniel

Each Proprius uses a dedicated SMPS power supply with a normal live, neutral and earth mains input. Unless you suffer particular mains borne interference I would not waste money on what you describe as an audio balanced power supply. I assume it is a centre tappped earth transformer. ie 230V input, 115-0-115 V output with 0 connected to earth. This might create more problems than it solves.
Just my opinion.

Happy Listening
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Help with bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:43am
thanks Ian. I suspect I do suffer a good deal of mains borne interference, since I find the sound much improved late at night.
I’m aware this has been probably covered elsewhere, and I’ll puzzle on I expect at least until the Proprius is bagged!
thanks again
Daniel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 11:55am
The UK domestic mains is Live, Neutral and Earth within a property. Before it enters the property it is just Live and Neutral. Before the meter the Neutral is bonded to "protective Earth" including water and gas pipes at the nearest entry point to the building - tied Neutral system (TN-S).

The voltage from Live to Neutral is always the nominal voltage. You can say that is 230V (although it won't be). The voltage from Neutral to Earth will be the voltage rise due to any and all loads connected to the domestic supply, and so the voltage from Live to Earth will be equal or greater than Live to Neutral.

Now, don't ask me why, there are far more qualified people who are members here who can explain why.

Nevertheless, Neutral and Live are still "floating" to a class-2 double insulated product. In an earthed (class-1) product, the Neutral is "closer" in voltage terms to Earth, but both Neutral and Live are isolated by the product's transformer, and the open circuit transformer secondary is completely floating.

A bridge rectifier used to rectify the waveform, connects one side or the other side of the floating secondary to positive or negative rail in equal turn. So which is connected to Earth? Both are, and both aren't.

In a full wave rectifier, the transformer is centre tapped, which goes to the product's earth, but the centre tap is half way between the two floating ends, so is balanced.

In a switched mode power supply it's anybodies guess, but I don't think one side will have greater affinity to Neutral or Live.

Then again, the products you list are all class-2, so "don't care."

However, there are owners who swear blind that such devices "improve" things, but do they? Is it simply a difference? The difference can be due to numerous things. If the device is a regenerator, perhaps its output voltage differs to the users mains voltage. That will make a difference to some products, as I've recently been trying to explain on my 1970s Design Indulgence blog.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Help with bass Help with bass wrote:

since I find the sound much improved late at night.

Because the voltage is higher, and there are fewer appliances placing offsets on the mains (automatic washing machines being the worst culprit - not forgetting the switching regulator noises from solar panels).

Either you need a regenerator, or products that are designed to ignore such fluctuations.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 1:23pm
Dan
It don't surprise me you find night time listening better so do I. I listen more with headphones at night or at lower volume but there is a definite difference.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Help with bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2022 at 3:24pm
thanks Jon 👍
D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic