FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Keeping is Stealing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:10am
Yes I see the problem in postage costs, which takes me back 18 years to how this all began...

I could see that most hifi weighed a "ton" and was bulky to ship so I had this mad idea of making each of my products really simple and tiny whilst delivering high performance, so it could ship at small packet weight anywhere. And keeping it simpler as well, do it a bit like the old Woolworth's "everything sixpence" idea, where you could add a PSU1 which also ships small packet weight ...

And everybody ignored me for years because I wasn't making hifi that was bulky and weighed a ton.

But was I put off? No, I built another and that fell over (sorry: Monty Python creeping in here)

Anyway, back to the problem and I see from the calculator here:

http://www.royalmail.com/business/services/sending/parcels-uk/next-day-delivery

that a 4kg medium parcel by Royal Mail Special Delivery is £26.60 each way. Total cost to try a £1600 item for two weeks: £53.20.

If Jon were to split the units so the Majestic and PSU1 shipped by RMSD as separate items the cost each way would be: £19.55. Total cost: £39.10

Still quite a lot, but consider this: You get to try something costing £1600 for two weeks at home. If you don't like it you lost £53.20, which is better than losing £1600 which is how it works most of the time with other brands.

If I was spending £1600 I would rather get to know if I could live with it first, and weighing it all up (pardon the unintended pun), I guess £53.20 to have it for two weeks to find out if I could live with it isn't that bad considering as a new member you'd get £80 knocked off as your "contributor discount"!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
stvn758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stvn758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:57am
Splitting them up, that's a great idea, £39.10 is an agreeable sum for hearing it. 
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:29pm
Yes but you'll get £80 off if you bought one anyway. Ermm

You'd have to ask Jon if he can do it that way. Nothing to do with me -- this is loaner program territory.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
stvn758 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stvn758 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Yes but you'll get £80 off if you bought one anyway. Ermm

You'd have to ask Jon if he can do it that way. Nothing to do with me -- this is loaner program territory.

No offence intended, haven't had a chance to look at all the specifics yet, did catch a post about member discounts and gaining stars or points on my first browse. 

My original plan was to trade in my old DAC for the new version, was offered £300, the store in question sells your Majestic as well, obviously more proper to buy direct, can always sell the old one elsewhere. 

I'll speak to Jon and ask if it's possible.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by stvn758 stvn758 wrote:

It's the Insurance that seems to bump up the price horrendously with Parcel Force as soon as you put£1600 value in the box. Do loaner items have to be insured or is the Tracked Parcel Force 48 service sufficient.

Otherwise I'm looking at £60 Special delivery there and back which is slightly less frightening than it going missing in the post and Mr Slee getting a less than majestic hundred quid PF compensation cheque instead of his DAC.  Ouch

tracked PF48 with basic cover is fine. Although donated to the forum community by GSP the loan unit does have a value but you don't need to insure it at full retail price when posting it back to me. I hope that helps bring down the £60 to £10 or so.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
@Dillon - that was one of the best curries I have had and it was great to meet in person. You really know your music and your hi-fi gear mate!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:19pm
I worked out some time ago that Special Delivery is very expensive for all but small light boxes whereas PF48 is tracked and much cheaper. I specifically mention that I use PF48 in the loan PM's as many of you will know.
Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic