FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Room Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:39am
Apologies if I have missed it but one important area of your room I don't recall you commenting on - the floor.

You appear to have tiled/laminate floor under a thinks rug in the middle?

This would appear quite 'live' and not a deep carpet with underlay which I. Suspect would deaden the sound significantly.

What sort of floor have you got concrete/ suspended timber, suspended concrete, suspended particle board etc?
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:40am
Sorry should say thinish rug...
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 6:54pm
Floor not quite as live as it may seem. Sub-floor is concrete slab which I guess would be 150 - 200mm thick. Above that is 25mm thickness of Celotex insulation, and above that is 22mm thickness tongue and groove (water resistant) chipboard. The tiles are 1.5mm thick PVC (used to be called Marley tiles or lino tiles). The other room differed by having a 100mm concrete slab poured over 100mm Kingspan sub-floor insulation. That only assisted with the boom due to the poor room ratios. The ceiling of the other room was onto wooden furrings which also allowed resonance. The ceiling in the "new" room is straight onto 6" depth joists and so does not resonate any way nearly as bad.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 9:24pm
I visited GSP HQ today to have a listen to Grahams' treated room & had a thoroughly enjoyable and informative time with 'the Buttercross 3' (although JC & Leo were working like trojans almost the whole time so I felt a bit guilty distracting everybody, especially when Graham needed to shut all the doors & windows on the hottest day of the year so far Embarrassed).

We played a quite extensive selection of music including some of my own tracks with rather challenging bass lines or a lot going on & in each case his little LS3/5As backed by the diffusers resulted in clean, neutral and very tight music with the room having no noticeable impact no matter what was thrown at them - very impressive indeed! Given the limitations of such small drivers, on all tracks the bass line was clearly present, albeit recessed & on a couple of occasions surprisingly full and deep as well

I now fully appreciate why Graham is such a fan of these diminutive speakers, having heard them previously at Aylesbury, Cranage, Rotherham and Barnsley where their true character was masked by room acoustics. I must mention in particular one of my own selections - Intravenus 1 by Biggabush where the sense of being inside the original recording space was significantly greater than I have heard previously (including my own system which quite frankly astonished me!). 

We also listened to part of Santana Milagro via an in-progress version of the Accession MC, using a relatively lowly Denon DL103 & I found myself absorbed & foot tapping along to a piece of music I had not heard before - always a good sign with GSP gear.

A big thanks to all and a big thumbs up for the diffusers - at some stage I will be making a couple of these for the ceiling above my own speakers.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic