FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Wanted: Era Gold V phono stage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 12:30am
Hi Ilir, late reply as I've just got home from this weeks' music quiz - you are very welcome & I hope you get as much pleasure from the Reflex Era Gold as I did. You definitely made the right decision to partner it with a PSU1 & I guess you need to order one pretty soon so your new turntable can start to sing!

Even though I haven't used the Era Gold much recently, the music we played this afternoon reminded me what a fabulous sound it creates & I was quite melancholy when I looked at the empty space on the shelf where it used to sit. After all, it was my first introduction to the Graham Slee range.

I am so glad that you managed to get a new Planar 3 & if you need help aligning the cart, give me a shout and I will come over to help you out.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
illyrium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illyrium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:45pm
It was indeed a fabulous sound. Rest assured it's come to a good homeThumbs Up.

I've posted here asking if someone has a PSU1 for sale. If not I guess I'll get a new one from GS shop. Getting a 5m QED Perfrmance 40 audio cable to go from Reflex to AVR as well.

Oh an purchassed both those records you played as well. Smile
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 10:03pm
Sounds like you need that PSU1 pretty soon Ilir ! I'm keen to hear what you think of the new Planar 3 when it's up & running so please keep us posted. 
Andrew
illyrium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illyrium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:47pm
It has been 7 and a half months since i bought the Rega and all esle and yet I still haven't managed to set it up. Life took over so much that I didnt have a chance to get the Planar 3 out of the box. I was revisiting the old posts here and I was truly shocked when I realised how long it has been. EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Finally things have calmed down so I was able to sit down the other day and enjoy the unboxing of this baby. I wanted to go ahead and listen to it but then I remembered the good advice that Andrew gave me months back regarding the set up being improtant and needing to be done precisely. Andrew, would you be able to refresh my brain please regarding what I need to do?Smile
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:53pm
Wow Ilir, is it really 7 months?!

Anyway, your Elys 2 is very easy to set up because it uses 3 screws in the Rega headshell and this takes care of alignment. Maybe this was already pre-installed?

For tracking weight (VTF), it would be best to use a digital gauge for accuracy but the Rega method will get you started. 

After mounting the cartridge, set the Rega dial on the side of the arm to zero, pull out the anti skate button fully (ie zero bias) & (...making sure you are very careful with the next part so you don't damage the cantilever, this needs to be done without the protective stylus guard) ....slide the counterweight carefully along the rear stub until you balance the arm and it floats horizontally. Then turn the side dial until you achieve the recommended tracking weight - I believe 1.75g. Then pull out the anti skate button to approximately the same setting. This is basically all you need to do.

As a general rule - a slightly higher tracking force than recommended will do no harm, too little tracking force can cause mistracking & is not such a good idea. Also, Rega anti-skate is often overstated so you may find the button needs to be less extended than recommended. Listening will give an indication - you should look for an equally balanced sound between both channels, not necessarily the central image moving left-right, more so to achieve an equally lively sound on both channels, especially treble notes.

As for the Era Gold, make sure you let it warm up for a few hours (it was well burnt in over several years in my system) and leave it switched permanently on. You may also notice a slight change in sound by swapping the orientation of the fig-8 mains cable into the PSU1. One way may sound slightly more relaxed & natural but not everyone notices this, it is subtle.

Good luck & enjoy your new setup!
Andrew
illyrium View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illyrium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:10pm
Hi Andrew. Yes, I couldnt believe it myself either.

The Elys 2 was already mounted on the arm and the alignment instructions were good but the rest of the instructions from Rega are very basic and fuzzy hence why I thought to check. I will plug the Slee now and leave it on overnight so it should be ready for tomorrow.

I'll have a play with swapping the mains on the PSU1 too and hopefully will manage to distinguish which one is which.

Thank you
ilir
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic