FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advice on MM Cartridge Decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:17pm
Yeah I think Andrews dead right about vinyl thickness variables. My comments about tiny adjustments were inspired not only by my own experiments where I had to raise/lower the arm around 2-3mm before I thought I heard a change in tonality, but also by the maths done in this article. Anyway the great thing about the audiomods micrometer is not so much that you can move it a tiny fraction, but that it allows you to adjust & return to a setting you maybe thought was better really easily. Even my own arm only provides super accurate adjustment in one direction - up. If you go too far you have to kinda guess how far to go back (something the self proclaimed best pick up arm in the world should perhaps have updated by now). I still love it tho LOL

Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:31pm
I'd second Dave's trigonometry tutorial and the repeatability add that a 2mm lift in stylus height on a much thicker record is under 1/2 degree change in SRA all else being equal.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:37pm
Graham's little rant caused a synapse to fire somewhere, I think I have got myself lost somehow, I think the thread I was reading might actually have been about vinyl EQ.  I think it might have been a review/discussion about a phono stage that had several different EQ settings and whether there was actually any benefit to that.  So I think the test may have been using a CD as an EQ free sample to determine what difference each setting made (there was no flat mode).  Maybe he went on to say more about using CDs for comparative testing or maybe it is just my memory being selective.  I don't know - You go to university where they teach you how to make effective notes and then you spend the rest of your life not bothering and getting all your facts mixed up LOL.  I did do quite a lot of reading on the subject when I was trying to decide what phono stage to get.

Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

variances in vinyl thickness from 45 singles to 200gm LPs

You forgot Flexi Discs Stern Smile LOL.  I've got a couple of them I inherited from my Grandad.  I don't think I would ever dare to put them on my turntable, I'd be terrified about damaging my stylus.  You know there is actually a company in Europe still making them!  A scary thought.

Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

I have adjustable CD input on my current amp.

I have actually never heard of that feature, what does it do?  I don't pay much attention to CD specific features so maybe I just missed it somewhere along the line, I do like to know what options are out there though.
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
Images View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Images Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 3:23pm
A late reply but I am using an Ortofon 2M black with a Graham Slee Reflex M on a Rega P5 it works quite well and the 2M bronze can be upgraded to a black when the stylus is replaced allowing a upgrade path 👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic