FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommend a new cart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 4:54pm
One further option could be to try your TT in another system then substitute another component? Hi fi sound in Stockton would provide the facilities but appreciate is 2-2 1/2 hours away.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 2:22am
Hi all,
   I'm in the same boat with the 2M Black. I find it bright when first installed, but it changed constantly over the first 30 odd hours - not all for the better! But now that it's settled down I find it wonderfully well balanced (for my tastes). It seems seemless with the Reflex M and I don't find any part of the audio spectrum emphasised over any others. Rega RP8 and RB808 arm.

I can't help but wonder if the 2M Black carts you've heard haven't been well set up, or perhaps not run in? The first time I heard the Black in a demo it clearly exposed a huge amount more detail than the Bronze that preceded it, but I found it grating. In fairness, they warned me it wasn't broken in and would mellow out a little. I bought one only after I'd heard the same cart with 100 hours on it.

Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Paul H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

Strange that you find the tone unbalanced like that, my experience with the 2M Black is a pretty neutral & quite clinical sound across the whole frequency range (a bit 'digital' but not a recessed midrange). Maybe the turntable/arm is accentuating those highs. 

Have you considered an MC cartridge because treble performance is generally regarded as superior to most MMs? As an example, the Hana carts receive good reports & the range includes high output versions.
I suspect it's a combination of turntable/arm and my own lack of ability when it comes to setting up. The Black is notorious for needing accurate installation and I very much doubt that I've nailed it. It's one reason for considering another cart: others aren't likely to be quite so fussy.

With regard to options, yes, I'm considering MC carts. My concern, if that's the right word, is that at my price point (say, £500 tops) I can get a top of the range MM but only a bottom or near-bottom of the range MC. I've always found that getting the best version of a supposedly inferior product is better than the worst version of a supposedly superior product.

My current thinking is:
Nagaoka MP300
Audio Note IQ2
Dynavector 10x5
Sumiko Blue Point Evo III

The only one I've come remotely close to hearing is the Nag: I had an MP10 on my last table and I liked it.
ProJect 1Xpression Carbon UKX w/ Ortofon 2M Black; Arcam Alpha 7 CD player; Graham Slee Revelation M pre; Denon PMA 355UK amp; Epos K1 speakers; Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects. Room: 2.9m x 3.1m.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131415
  Share Topic