FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Pests in equipment !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pests in equipment !!
    Posted: 21 Jan 2008 at 10:55am
As you may have gathered by now, I am a pest controller ( I do see life !! )Wink

I notice there are members here from around the world and I would like to ask if any one has ever suffered from pests, especially cockroaches or even bedbugs in their Hi-Fi equipmentShocked

Bedbugs are definitely on the increase in the UK, and elsewhere. Different varieties of cockroaches and ants are arriving in the country as well.  Confused

I have anecdotal evidence of cockroaches and bedbugs in televisions down South, so have they been found in Hi Fi equipment?

I bet this is a topic you never thought ofLOL

Adrian.
John C View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

gspaudio moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:42am
Apart from the odd fly, the major pest in our house can't actually get into the kit, but it's fur can  Angry. As anyone out there who has cats will tell you, they can sense heat from a mile away and will sleep just about anywhere warm Sleepy. The tops of radiators, the boiler, tv, amplifier, etc. leaving a nice insulating layer behind. An old tv of ours found this out when it eventually gave up the ghost whith a faint smell of burnig fur. They're now banned from sleeping on the tv and the rest of the kit is in a locked cabinet at present, which also helps prevent the other household pest (a 3-year old boy) from doing his worst. I do need to find a new hiding place for the key now though as I found the tonearm halfway across the record I'd left on, stylus down. I don't mind him playing with the DVD player (he can already use this) but he's still a bit young for the turntable yet LOL. I knew it was him, the little fingermarks all over the record were a bit of a giveaway LOL. No damage done though.
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:53am
What about those bags of water hanging from the roof eh, keeps those flies away according to someTongue

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 8:33am
Ah, the water bags...

When I visited a Land Rover parts depot located on a farm during the summer, I spotted two polythene bags full of water hanging from the ceiling. When I asked what they were for, I got the reply "to keep the flies away". It seems that he got the idea from a visit to Israel where the idea is in common use?

I decided to try it myself in the workshop and also in my home. It wasn't 100% successful but it fairly reduced the number of flies. Some would fly in and immediately fly back out again - others would fly in, land and refuse to move as if in a trance. Very weird!

Perhaps our resident pest controller would care to comment?

(unfortunately the workshop bag burst while Leo was stood below it...Embarrassed)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 9:51am
New to me LOL

I will research through a pest control forum, and let you knowWink

Personally I use an electronic flykiller in my kitchen ( ultra violet light and sticky pads ), but I live next to a canal and several ponds, so flying insects are a problem.Smile

Adrian.

PS my query on pests in Hi Fi relates to bedbugs in particular. They are extremely difficult to control. Attention to detail is important including down to gaps between sheets of wallpaper....on the wall !!!!!

Treating electrical equipment ( TVs ) may include blowing insecticidal dust into the equipment to control cockroaches and bedbugsConfused
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Ah, the water bags...

(unfortunately the workshop bag burst while Leo was stood below it...Embarrassed)

Its the other use it has for keeping pests awayLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic