FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Questions about Jazz Club Preamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bart1927 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about Jazz Club Preamp
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 4:06pm
Hi, I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section. I have a couple of questions regarding the Graham Slee Jazz Club, and especially the faq.

It says it's not possible to incorporate a flat response eq curve, followed by a rather technical explanation that goes right over my head. But I'm wondering: How is it possible that there are some manufacturers of pre-amps for vintage records, that do have a FLAT setting? For instance the KAB MQS MK 12, the Vadlyd M12, and the Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer, though the last one is in fact not a pre-amp, but is supposed to be used together with a RIAA preamp and inverts the RIAA curve.

It also states that the Jazz Club doesn't have a rumble filter, because rumble is caused by a poorly refurbished or maintained turntable. It is however my experience that the rumble can also be present on the record itself, especially on some acoustic 78's (Pathe is notorious, even the lateral ones) or budget labels. This was probably caused by the use of primitive recording equipment, and since it was well below the frequency range of the playback equipment in those days they probably weren't really bothered by it. So I think a rumble filter would come in handy.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
Welcome to the forum bart. Are the 'flat' responses just the incoming signal boosted (so quote trebly) or already corrected for the magnetic cartridge's rising response with frequency?

You won't hear 'rumble' as it is infrasonic but there may be some flapping sub-bass if some of my older records (blues 78's re-recorded onto LP) are anything to go by. I found the LF switch on the Revelation M helped tighten things up but I just ignore cone flapping because I can't hear it.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bart1927 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:37pm
My only experience is with the Rek-O-Kut re-equalizer, it has to be used together with a RIAA pre-amp, and it inverts the RIAA curve, and has two dials, one for rolloff, one for turnover, both can be set to "flat". The KAB and the Vadlyk don't require the use of an external preamp, since they perform the amplification themselves. Both have a switch to choose MM or MC. I don't know exactly if they compensate for the cartridges own sonic characteristics.

With the Re-Equalizer set to FLAT the sound is indeed quite trebly. The music itselfs sounds better than with RIAA when playing old 78's, but there is a big increase in surface noise, that only can be lessened by setting the rolloff knob to -5 or -10.

The KAB and the Vadlyk are a little bit out of my league, pricewise.
Bart1927 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Welcome to the forum bart. Are the 'flat' responses just the incoming signal boosted (so quote trebly) or already corrected for the magnetic cartridge's rising response with frequency?

You won't hear 'rumble' as it is infrasonic but there may be some flapping sub-bass if some of my older records (blues 78's re-recorded onto LP) are anything to go by.

What I mean by rumble is the sound as if a big truck is idling outside my house. This is a link to a particular bad example: https://app.box.com/s/ecdivvt8kcct4jigsj94ry6aglheyftk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic