FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bowie Dies Aged 69

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bowie Dies Aged 69
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 7:53am
Sad news on the TV this morning - David Bowie died.

1947-2016

RIP

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 11:40am
I never really got into Bowies music but don't wish the man any harm
R.I.P. David
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 1:18pm
Yes a strange muted journey to day, even Radio 4 was doing a load of David Bowie tributes.

The line from his latest album takes on more significance.

“Look up here, I'm in heaven”

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 2:03pm
Listening to 'Station to Station', as i type this.

A very sad day indeed. 
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:50pm
Tributes for iconic singer David Bowie
A man walks to place flowers alongside other tributes beside a mural of British singer David Bowie by artist Jimmy C in Brixton, south London, Monday, Jan. 11, 2016. David Bowie, the iconic and shape-shifting British singer whose illustrious career lasted five decade with hits like "Fame," ''Heroes" and "Let's Dance," died Sunday after a battle with cancer. He was 69. The singer, who was born David Jones at the family home in the Brixton area of London, came of age in the glam rock era of the early 1970s. (AP Photo - Matt Dunham)
From Associated Press
January 11, 2016 4:11 PM EST

LONDON (AP) — Tributes have poured in for singer David Bowie, who died Sunday aged 69. Politicians, entertainers, actors and astronauts have expressed their sadness at his death. Here is a look at some of the reactions:

Bruce Springsteen:

"Over here on E Street, we're feeling the great loss of David Bowie. David was a visionary artist and an early supporter of our music. Always changing and ahead of the curve, he was an artist whose excellence you aspired to. He will be sorely missed."___

Debbie Harry:

"Without this visionary and his friend Iggy Pop where would Blondie be today? Silly question and one that can't be answered really but there is no doubt in my mind that Bowie played a big part in our future successes. As for now, love you David Bowie."___

Mick Jagger:

"David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work. We had so many good times together... He was my friend. I will never forget him."___

Bette Midler:

"Bowie WAS The Man Who Fell to Earth. Curious, brilliant, enigmatic and sweet. We needed him and he appeared, changing our perceptions forever."___

Yoko Ono:

"As John & I had very few friends, we felt David was as close as family. Sweet memories will stay with us forever."___

Bowie's son, director Duncan Jones, posted a picture of his smiling father on Twitter:

"Very sorry and sad to say it's true. I'll be offline for a while. Love to all."___

Yusuf Islam, also known as Cat Stevens:

"He has left us for another world, beyond the darkness of this present one vividly so depicted in the shadows of his last video. I truly pray he's welcomed to the light by his Maker in that great today, which has no tomorrow."___

Irish singer Hozier:

"Unthinkable. The world has lost one of the most important artists and icons of our time. I was moved immeasurably by David Bowie. RIP."___

Mariah Carey:

"David Bowie we will remember your brilliance. Heartfelt condolences to family, friends & fans around the world."___

Astronaut Tim Peake, who is aboard the International Space Station:

"Saddened to hear David Bowie has lost his battle with cancer - his music was an inspiration to many."___

Josh Groban:

"He never seemed of this earth. Now he's left it. He bent rules, gender, genres, and our minds. RIP David Bowie. One. Of. A. Kind."___

Former astronaut Chris Hadfield, who performed "Space Oddity," on the International Space Station in 2013.

"Ashes to ashes, dust to stardust. Your brilliance inspired us all. Goodbye Starman."___

German Foreign Office:

"Good-bye, David Bowie. You are now among #Heroes. Thank you for helping to bring down the #wall."__

The Rolling Stones:

"The Rolling Stones are shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the death of our dear friend David Bowie. As well as being a wonderful and kind man, he was an extraordinary artist, and a true original."___

Madonna:

"Im Devastated! This great Artist changed my life! First concert i ever saw in Detroit!"___

Paul McCartney:

"His music played a very strong part in British musical history and I'm proud to think of the huge influence he has had on people all around the world.

"I send my deepest sympathies to his family and will always remember the great laughs we had through the years. His star will shine in the sky forever."___

Iggy Pop:

"David's friendship was the light of my life. I never met such a brilliant person. He was the best there is."___

Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling:

"I wish he could have stayed on earth longer. RIP."___

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby:

"I remember sitting listening to his songs endlessly in the '70s particularly and always really relishing what he was, what he did, the impact he had."___

British Prime Minister David Cameron:

"Genius is an over-used word but I think musically, creatively, artistically David Bowie was a genius."

"For someone of my age he provided a lot of the soundtrack of our lives."___

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair:

"From the time I saw his Ziggy Stardust concert as a student, I thought he was a brilliant artist and an exciting and interesting human being."___

Jazz guitarist Pat Metheny who worked with David Bowie on the song "This Is Not America":

"He carried the kind of broad view of music and art that was inspiring to me as a collaborator and a fan. I feel very lucky to have had the chance to be around him."___

London Mayor Boris Johnson:

"No-one in our age has better deserved to be called a genius."___

Tony Visconti, Bowie's longtime producer:

"David always did it his way and his way was the least obvious way. He was a true genius who proved it over and over again through groundbreaking albums. I co-produced his new album 'Blackstar.' He sang with powerful energy and determination, his performances were brilliant. He will live forever in our hearts, mine especially."___

Comedian Ricky Gervais:

"I just lost a hero. RIP David Bowie."___

Rapper Kanye West:

"David Bowie was one of my most important inspirations, so fearless, so creative, he gave us magic for a lifetime."___

Singer Pharrell Williams:

"David Bowie was a true innovator, a true creative. May he rest in peace."___

Actor Mark Ruffalo:

"Rip Father of all us freaks. Sad sad day. Love always."___

Columbia Records:

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of David Bowie. It was an honor and a privilege to release his music to the world."

Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:53pm
His latest album is selling like hot cakes.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic