FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Duophonic recordings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duophonic recordings
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 10:19pm
I have a few of these Duophonic recordings in my collection. Details on duophonic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duophonic

These vinyls can be played Mono or in Electronically Processed Stereo mode. The Mono cartridge playback is satisfactory, however the sound loses some of the clarity and details.

With a stereo cartridge the reproduction is imbalanced - the bass is on the left speaker...the treble mostly shifted to the right. The Revelation C mono switch has also helped a bit.

I wanted to check with the forum if anyone had a different take at handling these type of recordings or improved process?

Thanks
Shashi
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 9:25am
Interesting bit about "I Am The Walrus". All this time I've been blaming the equipment, but it was the record company farting about!

I suppose the problem with putting garbage in is that garbage comes out. I don't have a clue how to reverse all the special effects they used.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 3:24pm
Some of the artists used very new recording effects to great extent and with great "in-their-day" effect.
 These duophonic recordings were meant to have their sound effects sound better on stereo playback.
Sometimes it was putting different instruments on the left or right only to show there was a difference between left and right... other times it was trying to place the instruments in their stage position.

My take is, if it sounds better in stereo, I would enjoy it played back in stereo.

No need to try and understand the mechanics of why it was recorded that way.
To find that out you would have to ask the artist or recording engineer.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 6:40pm
Surprisingly these duophonic recordings are heard better in mono playback mode. Most of these vinyls do mention that they can be played in mono mode (cartridge). 

The problem of playing these recordings in Stereo is...the fake stereo has the bass playing on the left channel...the treble sounds are on the right...it really makes for painful listening over headphones. Heard over speakers it makes the singer sound as if singing at the bottom of a very deep and empty well.

In my listening...the best solution by far I have found is with a mono cartridge and the Revelation C pre-amp. The reproduction is the most pleasing and as close to a decent balanced rendition as possible. 

But I agree...no stereo equipment can undo whatever custom recording muddling the sound recordists implemented to get their fake stereo. In India this was done to support EMI/HMV's existing user base of their turntables which was plugged into Murphy radio (mono) for playback. These turntables were manufactured for HMV...and were direct driven by metal gear. Converting the userbase to Stereo was found to be too expensive a deal...and hence these duophonic recordings reigned longer here than anyplace else in the world. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic