FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Review Reflex C & Lautus Interconnects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:50pm
I must thank tg for his evil recommendation of the Denon DL-103...

It is absolutely wicked!!!

Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 9:38pm
Are you being seduced by the 'dark side', Graham? Shocked
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 4:25am
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Are you being seduced by the 'dark side', Graham? Shocked

Only in the pursuit of excellence... Wink

Needed to hear exactly what the Reflex (Revelation) C and Elevator EXP were capable of.

Not being able to justify the expense of exotic MCs for the workshop, the DL-103 was obtained for comparison with the old Eroica LX, Salsa and OC-9 - which it beat hands down. I therefore consider I now have an MC cartridge which might be as revealing as the exotic?

Plus, the sound is on par with my MMs Smile

It also works really well on the Technics SL1210 II.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 12:16am
So you think all those broadcasters who used it might have been on to something ? Smile
Tony G
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

So you think all those broadcasters who used it might have been on to something ? Smile

Must have been different downunder?

According to this: http://www.bbceng.info/Designs/designs_sections/Recording.htm, the BBC used crystal cartridges until the Goldring 800 came out in 1969.

I didn't know that. So it was pure coincidence that I used crystal cartridges on disco, and a Goldring 800 on home audio in the early/mid '70s.

Even when doing production studios in the early '90s UK broadcasters were specifying high output cartridges.

morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

http://www.bbceng.info/Designs/designs_sections/Recording.htm
Great website Graham Wink - a mine of information. George (pinky) the rampant lion is good, too . . . 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2015 at 4:17am

I find your references to BBC usage unsurprising, whether it was different here I have no certainty.

The cartridge was developed by Nippon Columbia/ Denki Onkyo (Den-on) and the japanese radio and television broadcast corporation NHK in 1962. This “standard” DL 103 is still in production.

I infer from that that its intended market was broadcast usage, that may well have been mainly in Japan.

IIRC in the early 60's Japanese manufacture did not have the reputation for engineering quality it has since earned, rather being synonymous with the opposite.

That in itself may have restricted its use outside Japan, then again, they have often kept their best audio products for their home market.

Still, not many cartridges are still being made after 50+ years.

Edited by tg - 10 Feb 2016 at 9:53pm
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic