FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Interconnect Recommends.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ROMPerformance View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interconnect Recommends.......
    Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 10:48am
I'm looking for recommendations on really super decent quality 3.5mm Stereo Jack to twin mono RCA interconnect, and a 3.5mm stereo Jack to twin stereo 3.5mm female ended Y adapter so SWMBO can listen in on the HD215's she's inheriting from me.  

It seems a shame that i've got this very nice silver Double Helix headphone cable between me and the ULDE but just a fairly normal QED interconnect between my phone and the ULDE.  I want to maximise on the best i can get from my phone.  

Yes, OK, i know it's just a phpne but as far as phones go my HTC M9 sounds as good as any MP3 player i've heard.

Do GSP Audio do such interconnects or can they make something custom for me.
Francis :0)
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 12:41pm
If you were to buy a standard 3.5mm male jack to dual female phono adapter, you could buy a pair of Graham Slee CuSat50 or Lautus phono-phono cables to join phone to Solo ULDE. Still a noticeable improvement even without a Graham Slee DAC between them.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 1:19pm
I'd thought of that but then you're putting an adapter at one end of the cable.  Won't that alter the signal a bit as opposed to what you would normally get by using a straight GSP cable made for purpose? 

I'm trying to avoid using adapters if i can help it otherwise i would be purchasing their best cable and then looking around for an adapter (a cheap one of which i have here already), that was of a comparable quality.  I've not come across any 'high end' adapters i would want to spend any money on. 

I'd sooner have something that was made as a one piece affair so there is nothing in the way to 'muddy the waters', so to speak.  I'm here to be educated so any golden nuggets of wisdom you guys can spare are gratefully received. 

As for the massive itch which is the Majestic DAC,  an itch you would not believe how seriously I need to scratch, it's definitely on the list with a set of their finest interconnects.  That will happen soon enough.
Majestic DAC, Proprii, Solo ULDE, Voyager, Libran, Lautus, Spatia,, Cyrus CD XT SE2, Cyrus PSX-R, Sennheiser HD 800 and 540 Ref2, Harbeth SHL5
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 4:21pm
I'd use the adapter.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by ROMPerformance ROMPerformance wrote:

I'd thought of that but then you're putting an adapter at one end of the cable.  Won't that alter the signal a bit as opposed to what you would normally get by using a straight GSP cable made for purpose? 

I'm trying to avoid using adapters if i can help it otherwise i would be purchasing their best cable and then looking around for an adapter (a cheap one of which i have here already), that was of a comparable quality.  I've not come across any 'high end' adapters i would want to spend any money on.

Using an adapter that is as small as possible is the only key factor here.

An adapter on one end of a cable will not detract from the signal quality any more than the design of the mating connector it is plugged into... the 3.5mm phone jack has it's limitations... one is: it is miniaturized which can add to the capacitance of the connection. Some manufacturers have reduced the amount of metal and used better insulating material in their 3.5mm phone jack connectors to account for this.

All that aside, an adapter with a stereo 3.5mm phone plug on one end going to 2 RCA phono jacks on the other will only facilitate your connection, not make it worse sounding.

Edited by BAK - 30 Nov 2015 at 5:06pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 7:18pm
Late to the party...

Using a 3.5mm to phono adaptor with a pair of Cusat50 phono to phono cables is a good investment. You'll be able to re-use the Cusats where a custom made 3.5mm to phono cable will be a compromise due to fitting cables to the tiny connector and is only good for that application. I agree with Graham and Bruce that a decent adaptor will not spoil the sound.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROMPerformance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 9:14pm
I think i have found a solution for what i want, i'll know soon enough. 

I'd prefer to use a dedicated jack plug to phono lead that does only that job however, only if i can get it done.  If not then a set of those AgSat90 or dual mono Lautus phono leads and a small as possible adapter will be employed.

I totally hear what the 3 of you are saying and i'm grateful for the sage words.  

More than likely and even if i find my solution works well i'll still end up with a set twin phono-phono cables and adapter as curiosity often gets the better of me, i just have to know which is the right solution, for me anyway.

Edited by ROMPerformance - 30 Nov 2015 at 9:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic