FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

GyroDec blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm
Right, the motor pod. In short it is a heavy base that sits on the shelf and takes a screw-in motor mounting.

For the base I ran a 60mm M6 carriage bolt through the bottom of a steel lighting pattress, used a large washer to anchor about 2kg of lead fishing weights with a studding connector on top. With a little wriggling I got this vertical then airbrushed it in black poly primer before adding rubber feet to stop the base sliding around.

The motor is on a bracket that I tapped for an M6 rod and locked with a nut. I cut a hole in an aerosol can lid I can drop over the motor then airbushed the lid black so it looks reasonable in the 'ear' of my Michell Gorbe chassis which is also black.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:26pm
Whilst I am still enjoying my second hand Hana SL cartridge I bought a new one recently from Hifisound, my local shop and I intend to fit it soon.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:26pm
will be interesting to hear whether new vs old is significant.  Dangerous thing shopping!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 10:30am
Agreed on both points Richard. The Hana SL suspension will need running in as you know so the new vs old comparison may be quite stark. I hope that my new one sounds as good in a month or two as the second hand one has.

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2019 at 9:20pm
Another post about cartridges reminded me to follow this up... I only fitted my new Hana SL in September. It was a perfect swap with the stylus landing in the same dimple and cantilever lined up just right. The sound was perhaps a little harder than the used Hana SL I had decided to rest/retire.

In terms of the sound I have a handy comparison - I re-ripped my LP of Boult conducting the NPO playing Holst: The Planets. To be fair it sounded very good in analogue glory last weekend. A studied comparison of the digital copies suggested it was very similar on the louder bits maybe less warm/harder when new and less subtle I think. Still very happy and it just needs some time to loosen up...

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 333435
  Share Topic