FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic as single ended pre

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic as single ended pre
    Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 7:19am

This has probably been covered before but it would be good to know if it is OK to use a TS or mono jack to RCA adaptor in the balanced output connectors to provide single ended output to an amplifier.

Edited by tg - 14 May 2018 at 6:36am
Tony G
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 10:56am
You can use a mono plug to RCA 'gender' adaptor.

However, as it effectively shorts the unused phase to sleeve (ground) it will cause that phase to draw more current (23mA approx on peaks), but it will not damage the phase amplifier because there is a series 300 Ohm resistor between it and the jack's contact.

The 300 Ohm series resistors exist on each phase which sum to 600 Ohms enabling the Majestic balanced outs to be 600 Ohm compliant - not that anybody uses 600 Ohm balanced lines these days Wink

It might be found that on using a TRS plug (stereo jack plug) wired "tip" to RCA "pin" that performance differs slightly. That being due to the unused phase not 'seeing' any load.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JCL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

You can use a mono plug to RCA 'gender' adaptor.

However, as it effectively shorts the unused phase to sleeve (ground) it will cause that phase to draw more current (23mA approx on peaks), but it will not damage the phase amplifier because there is a series 300 Ohm resistor between it and the jack's contact.

The 300 Ohm series resistors exist on each phase which sum to 600 Ohms enabling the Majestic balanced outs to be 600 Ohm compliant - not that anybody uses 600 Ohm balanced lines these days Wink

It might be found that on using a TRS plug (stereo jack plug) wired "tip" to RCA "pin" that performance differs slightly. That being due to the unused phase not 'seeing' any load.

So it seems there are two options. Which one would you recommend to a Majestic DAC owner until I...erm...he(or she) can afford a pair of Proprii? 

Edited by JCL - 14 May 2018 at 4:13am

J-C - Majestic DAC - Solo ULDE - Grado PS500
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:38am
Ask John C for a pair of Lautus TRS to RCA with the TRS wired RS. If a Lautus is too long the same configuration can be done as a CuSat50.

Wired as such the phase used has 'no common-mode distortion' and sounds best to me.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JCL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:08pm
Thanks for clearing this up Graham.

Although I consider this solution temporary(I plan on acquiring Proprius(s?) as soon as my wallet permits it), I am curious to hear what the Majestic can do for my old Exposure 2010 power amp. Paired with my Solo ULDE its been a true revelation so far.

J-C - Majestic DAC - Solo ULDE - Grado PS500
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic