FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

My new amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 9:41pm
Well, the loan unit turned up today.

Guess who forgot to ask for the correct cables? I had assumed that "balanced = XLR", so imagine my frustration... Embarrassed

I knocked up an RCA to XLT adapter cable, but the RCA is fixed level, so tweaking the volume on Proprius allows me to listen to it. TRS connectors are on order.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

Evening All,
I just completed my first 2 weeks with my new Majestic DAC and Proprius amps. They are absolutely gob smacking. I've got instruments playing outside of the speaker boundary, how the hell does that work? How can I be hearing sounds to the left of the left hand speaker and to the right of the right hand speaker?

I've got the amps hooked up to an old LP12 with an Era V, a Cyrus CDT and Sonos, with Cusat and Lautus cables and Apple laptop and Apple TV via optical. Speakers are ProAc Response SC1. To start with I was listening to 256kps AAC files via Sonos from my NAS and they sounded wonderful. The best way I can describe the sound is very exact with instruments pinpoint between the speakers. Hifi but still musical, I was sat down for hours playing all sorts.

Next I wondered what Spotify would sound like streamed from an iPad to an Apple TV. Wow, I didn't think you could hear the difference between 320kps and 256kps, well you can. Like another layer being added, voices standing forward in the sound stage, some depth appears.

At this point I didn't have a CD player with a digital out so hooked up the laptop with an optical lead, setting the port to 96KHz/24bit. Loaded a CD as an AIFF (44.1/16) and hit play. I did not expect to hear anything quite so amazing. Everything jumped out at me spreading out wider than the speakers. So now I got to think what hi res would sound like and so got a download or three. Like I said at the start I've got instruments in pin point focus outside of the speaker boundary. HTF!

I've now got a CD transport (mainly for the wife's convenience) and that sounds fantastic. I'd definitely say it edges the optical output from the laptop at CD resolution. I'd need a copy of the hi res stuff on CD to compare the 96 and 192kps stuff I downloaded.

I can't put in to words how pleased I am, especially breaking the golden rule of listen before you buy. I loaned the Proprii but bought the Majestic on spec.

Got to get some cables for the Majestic to Proprii connection. I'm using £15 worth TRS to XLR cable from Amazon at the moment. Can I borrow some Libran please? And to hell with it Spatia too.

Chris

Please PM me
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic