FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 to power 24v Rega Turntable

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 12:58pm
The Legacy website does have a little info re the motor..

Some further info in Vinyl Engine.

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:42pm
A question for Graham - you mention the link to the speed controller thread but why might I need one of these please? I am not sure what benefit this could bring to my setup.

The modified 24v AC PSU1 powers a Rega TT-PSU which is switchable between two turntables (thanks to John C) & as mentioned earlier in this thread, both measure stable at 33.3 & 33.4RPM with absolutely no pitch or w&f effects that I can detect. 

I am a very picky listener so I must admit to being mystified about why I might need a different speed controller Disapprove
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
So, the motor and control circuit are as described here:

https://www.google.com/patents/US3873897

The starting current found here: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IJQ7RXGMUs4/UYpup_YReuI/AAAAAAAAARg/huggXCpIYKQ/s1600/spec.png

...is 240mA at 22V. The maximum power is therefore 5.3 watts plus a tiny amount for the control circuitry.

The forum commentators suggest the use of a 30 VA (rms watts) transformer here: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toroidal-transformers/2237822/

Comments seem to suggest that the higher the power of the transformer the better the sound will be.

So maybe it is better to use the 30 VA transformer.

As for the motor itself, it is DC. The supply can be DC or AC. The AC version has a bridge rectifier input to convert AC to DC.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

A question for Graham - you mention the link to the speed controller thread but why might I need one of these please? I am not sure what benefit this could bring to my setup.

The modified 24v AC PSU1 powers a Rega TT-PSU which is switchable between two turntables (thanks to John C) & as mentioned earlier in this thread, both measure stable at 33.3 & 33.4RPM with absolutely no pitch or w&f effects that I can detect. 

I am a very picky listener so I must admit to being mystified about why I might need a different speed controller Disapprove

I suggested it for Richard but then found it would be unsuitable (see earlier post).

I am not trying to sell you a controller as I assume you already have one made by Rega.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 5:30pm
Thanks Graham, I realise my post implied that I might not need one of these which isn't really what I meant to say.

As someone who has only owned belt drive turntables I suppose I should listen and compare to something like the new Technics SL1200G which gets impressive reviews from trade and users alike. Maybe this would enlighten me and give a proper reference.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:14am
Nothing wrong with belt drive unless the belt snaps. I've heard there's a problem with DDs cogging, but surely I would hear it in some way? I have three old (by now) SL1200's and haven't heard it. So nothing wrong with either BD or DD. The differences are due to construction. A heavy TT always sounds better to me, but I don't mean the platter should be as heavy as a van wheel. I heard it said that the Rega Planar 3 is the poor mans LP12. A customer brought in his LP12 for a phono stage demo, and the difference was night and day. The tonal range was complete. The Rega only does the top end because the mass is missing. That's why they tell you to mount it on a stiff shelf bolted to a masonry wall, which adds sufficient mass. At Heathrow 2003 I couldn't get sufficient bass with the Rega on the stand, but then I stood it on the concrete floor, what a difference!
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 8:59am
I've three DD turntables in the house at the moment and have had more - and I've never heard cogging. The acid test was when I still had my GyroSE and I bought a little Technics SL-7. With the same cartridge (in a p-mount adapter on the Gyro) I did some comparative rips. With someone else switching between them so I didn't know what was playing I couldn't reliably tell them apart. The SL-7 weighed far more than it looked, and of course the Gyro had those mesmerising brass weights . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic