FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone Controls/Graphic EQ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Juliangst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juliangst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 4:23pm
I like my tone controls wich have a 'tilt' device, though in practice I use them only a little.  May I quote from the handbook blurb ( no names no pack drill. but you may work out which make I mean)? : " Our tone controls are quite unlike those found on other equipment.  Conventional treble & bass controls have a poor reputation.  They serve no useful purpose and are often badly executed.  Our tone controls, on the other hand, serve a very useful function by helping to make many an indifferent recording sound more realistic.  They are an essential tool for every collector of recordings.  the logic of our tone controls is veru easy to appreciate.....  The recording sounds over bright? Press the filter button & its sounds just right.  It is all so simple...."

As I say I use them only rarely but they can be veruy useful indeed when playing old 78s in conjunction with my Jazz Club. 

Incidentally plasterboard is my pet hate.

Comments please Graham?
JJG
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 6:39pm
Thanks for not advertising Quad...

(it's OK for me to say so)

Just trying to stretch my brain as to how they do it...

Plasterboard.... such wonderful stuff. Reflects treble and soaks up bass (neighbours just love dismembered bass...). Get bass low enough and loud enough within 100 miles of Elephants and you'd cause a stampede - watch out all those who live within 100 miles of a Zoo!

Heck! We all do in England!

Just trying to stretch my brain as to why they did it...

(plasterboard that is)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 7:04pm
One thing you can say about That Company is that it doesn't put headphone sockets on its electronics. Whether this is some historical principle or whether they didn't want to follow what seems to be standard practice (by providing a low quality but functional headphone output) I can only guess.

But anyway, aforementioned lack-of-headphone-socket eventually led to me buying a Slee headphone amp, and I know from t'interweb that I'm far from alone.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 11:43pm
Good man! Big%20smile
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Andy9672 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy9672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 11:27am
I would be pleased to see some sort of tone control available, though not he way that the majority of companies have done it in the past!
I dont need to be able to turn the bass up so much that all i hear is mush or be able to increase the treble to a painfull level.
I would like to have the functionality to alter the treble and bass by small amounts to counter the effects of different recordings.

Having said that i have just converted my loft into a listening room, having been chucked out of the lounge due to the arrival of our first child.
All my walls are plasterboard, though i have been able to double the amount of timber work behind the board to give a stronger more solif fixing. Oh and i used a double thickness of 18mm plasterboard on all the walls as well (the ceiling is allready low enough!)
and i dont have a problem with the amount of bass i hear from my speakers, in fact sometimes is is a bit much and the ability to reduce this by a small amount would be welcome.

I used to work in a concert hall that had the makings of a reasonably good PA system, though without the room correction settings everything sounded awfull. I know a concert hall has more accoustic problems for amplified sound than your average front room but it would be interesting to see how such a device would work on a two chanel system.

My surround system (still allowed in the lounge) has room correction built in, works wonders for 5.1 but makes 2 channel sound terrible!
Solo psu1
Rega Apollo
AT W1000
Technics SL1200
ramsay View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:16am
Your bass problem sounds like it is caused by what is known as a standing wave - i dont want to try and explain as it will get messy. it is to do with how the sound waves bounce off the walls and where they reinforce each other at certain spots in the room - bass wavelengths are a fair bit bigger than most listening rooms! bass trap is a potentially cheap fix - a big  couch even!

more on topic; i would feel a little lost without any kind of eq somwhere in the chain.. partly because i dont have great equipment (yet) but the abilitly to adjust for having a party where the room is full of people and u can cut through the chat without drowing it out and also it is nice to be able to have some control over the odd (subjectively)less than perfect recording.
there are hundreds of equalisers that you can get hold of. graphic will give you control over what frequencies you want to boost or cut in great detail ( 1/3 octave gives you around 30 frequency centres to adjust meaning you can cut any frequencies that are overly responsive or cause a poopy sound.)
a parametric will give you a few stages where you can pick a centre frequency to boost/cut and the bandwidth which affects the gradient and shape of the curve of affected frequency.. they all have their own character though and some are more transparent than others.
 perhaps i have been working too many 11 hour shifts and not sleeping enough for this to be worth reading but i suppose my point is it might be worth your while to do a bit of research into what is out there in the "pro audio" field.. not all of it costs the same as a house and whilst you would have to test it to see what character it may add to your sound. sadly what you hear depends on the room you are in as well as the gear you are using. if you are very keen then i say go for it!

fair enough you can spend a small fortune but
sound on sound has a section where they go to a random guys house and improve his setup (it is more for recording but same issues affect home recording pervert - reflections,  bass response in certain room shapes and sizes (small square ones for instance). they generally show how to make simple and low cost traps and where to position them effectively plus a fairly jargon free explaination or what causes some of the problems in the first place.. best thing is you can disguise your traps/ absorbers etc as pictures (genereally they are wood frames filled with various materials and with various layers depending on what frequencies you want to deal with) some clever people even worked out a long time ago the effects of various depths of various substances have on different frequencies of sound - im sure they are online somewhere so no need for the big book..even better you can get the missus to paint on them and detract from her impression that you sit in that room to escape from her Wink
maybe worth a puruse if your in a newsagent and have a spare 5 minutes..

my eyes hurt.Dead

Edited by ramsay - 14 Sep 2009 at 2:15am
Monday you're the pigeon, Tuesday you're the statue, Wednesday you're the pile of sick that mysteriously disappears from the pavement overnight..
ramsay View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:28am
ps hope that doesnt count as advertising. please remove the offending name if so..

plasterboard is everywhere due to the massive reduction in labour and time required to put it up compared to traditional plastering or better methods...
i say we go back to wattle and daub or turf houses. keeps the heat in a treat and you wont be hearing quite as much bass from next door. no problems with things being "a bit toppy" either.. just muddy as hell.
Monday you're the pigeon, Tuesday you're the statue, Wednesday you're the pile of sick that mysteriously disappears from the pavement overnight..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic