FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Power spike speaker damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 12:32pm
It perhaps sound silly but are you sure your hearing is 100% at the moment? You've not had a cold or been doing anything that generated dust which may have affected your sinuses? I suffer a bit with my eustachian tubes and have to use a nasal spray from time to time. It's amazing what a difference it makes. My hi-fi sounds exactly like you describe if I forget to use the spray. Treble is there but a muddy bass seems to swamp it. Vocals lack a bit of clarity etc. Or is it something as simple as excessive ear wax build up? Its strange that your hi-fi should suddenly sound worse.
Aren't ears brilliant
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 1:59pm
James, I think it was just the phase polarity that was wrong as everything now sounds great again with the treble back after the figure eight lead swaparound. Like you said I was probably put on another differently phased line while the street outside is still dug up and I take it they're still working on whatever was faulty down there. My neighbour's power never dissappeared so maybe I'm temporarily put on the same line as them now whilst they solve the issue with mine.
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:22pm
Unless they've made significant changes to the local power distribution network it is unlikely that the phase has been changed. It is more likely that the routing (feed point) has been changed until the fault is corrected, this may have introduced a "dirtier" mains feed.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2015 at 8:47pm
Thought would add my observations whilst listening to some of Phils great vinyl (Fairground Atrraction and Paul Simon).
This 'sounds' very familiar to me.  From time to time we suffer local short term power outages, usually a few seconds then back again.   When power returns the sound often is 'different' from memory a bit thinner and more edgy sounding typically, but usually but not always that significant.

Back in February we had such a outage whilst powered up and think I ended the session there.  The next time I tried any serious listening it sounded franky awkfull.  Thick heavy bass that lacked definition & control, a general lack of dynamics, constricted/forced midband, yet edgy on vocals, the end result was a sort listening session, followed by another, then another.  Hmmm. Damaged power block, damaged amp or damaged speakers?  I contacted my block and amp supplier who both advised their gear should not have suffered any ill effects. I even rang the power company who assured me there was a known issue and the effect of the out was not a spike but merely interruption.  Believe them?  not sure.

Anyway after 'a while' of quitenes in the house (a couple of weeks?)  when I next tried all was back to normal!  Great!

I have noticed significant variations in mains quality (I assume) though not reflected in voltage changes.  I have an independent consumer unit, power feed and exotic screened cables which are excellent though not imune to such ills.  Whilst a power conditioner could be beneficial this is not an option at present.

My suggestion is to stick with it and suspect your sound will return on its own.

Good luck and we do remain pretty much at the hands of the power companies for our raw materials!

PS I have often wondered on the points made by JamesD - is it in my head (literally!).
Kind regards
Richard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic