FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Essential Jazz Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by less less wrote:

Also in my collection are:
 Live at Shelly’s Mann Hole Riverside 673 003
Blue Note The Alternative Man with John McLaughlin
Riverside 673 008 Bill Evans
Doxy Dox807 New Jazz Conceptions
Milestone The Village Vanguard Sessions double lp

Les

Ah, Bill... nobody quite like him. I remember reading in the NME about his death in 1980 the day before I was going to dinner with a (terrific) British percussionist and his wife - I mentioned it in passing, and we spent the rest of the evening listening to those great 50s/60s Riversides (they had an excellent collection) while they got over their upset. As I only knew BE as the piano player on Kind Of Blue at that point (forgive me - I was 21 and callow), it was a complete ear-opener for me.

Years later (1990s sometime) I was lucky enough to pick up this beauty in (the late lamented) Mole Jazz at Kings Cross for £45 or thereabouts...

- one of the consequences of which was that my best mate inherited the individual BE Riversides that I'd accumulated on vinyl up to that point. Lucky both of us, eh?

Anyway, just thought I'd note that the Shelly's Manne Hole stuff is superb - that The Village Vanguard Sessions is (IMLTHO) the greatest piano trio jazz ever recorded/released - and that the version of Thad Jones' A Child Is Born on this gorgeous thing remains one of my favourite test recordings for any new piece of kit (need I add how good it sounds via Accession MM?):

Two other observations prompted by Les' list:

1) The Blue Note Alternative Man is by the other jazz Bill Evans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Evans_(saxophonist)) - hence, I suspect, the LP title;

2) Doxy reissues (of which I have a large handful) look and feel lovely - but I gather they're from digital sources and (more importantly) that they don't pay royalties - so I try to avoid them these days.

f.

kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 8:55pm
I recently acquired the ORG vinyl of Bill Evans, The Paris Concert recorded right near the end of his life. It's a wonderful record and quite different from his earlier work - more drive but still recognizably him.

The Montreux Jazz Festival recording is also outstanding.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic