FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Tone arm weights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shellspeed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tone arm weights
    Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:52pm
Hi All

Wondered if anyone had any experiance with changing tone arm weights. I have a RB300 and you can buy an 'offset' weight which stops it gyrating (apparantly).

They are about £40-50 so not inconsiderable but may be something to try out.

regards
James
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 12:38am
Hi James, I fitted a Michell Tecnoweight on my Rega RB301 arm and think it improved the sound. It came with instructions for loosening the Rega arm stub and fitting the Michell parts.

If memory serves the counterweight hangs under the arm so the mass is lower, level with the cartridge/stylus. I think the Tecnoweight costs more than £40-50 these days but it is good quality and reasonably easy to fit. Just make sure you hold onto the arm and do not apply any force to the arm bearings.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:34am
I have an SRM-Tech underslung counterweight on an RB303 arm, including a new stub. It definitely seems to track and handle warps better than the standard counterweight

If you need to remove the Rega stub - some after market counterweights also replace this, it takes quite a bit of force and I agree with Jons' comments about being careful not to damage the bearings. Best to remove the arm from the table if so

I wrapped a couple of turns of insulating tape around the Rega stub and gripped quite tightly with a wrench to loosen it, the other hand holding the armtube. The threads are quite short so once it starts to move, it comes off quite easily. Here is the old one after removal (now retired to my hi-fi prosthetics collection)

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 2:34pm
Well I have bit the bullet so to speak and ordered what looks to be simular to the Mitchell system. I will report back any findings (good or bad) in due course.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:56pm
Thanks James.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 3:04pm
Well chaps we had been busy digging for something eluded from my sound and today I found the cure. I've been stressing about my speakers being the week link despite a lot of fans and good reviews at the time and a reasonble auditioning session I kept comin back to the same conclusion. It was time for the B&W's to man up or ship out. I read on line of people reporting a drop off in treble due to aged ferro fluid. Given the speakers are 1999 CDM1se's this sounded entirely feasible. There is a company in the states that swaps out the tweeters so I set to investigating. Turns out there a 1" unit very similar to those found in quality car audio units. So I trip to the local boom boom shop and £85 later I took posession of a pair of Audison AP1 units and 15 minutes saw them installed in the speakers. WOW........that's better. If they sound this good out the box I can't wait till they been run for a while.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic