FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

which one to buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
resovoir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote resovoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one to buy
    Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:35pm
Having been a hi-fi nut for many years now starting with the famous/infamous Pioneer Pld 10 I think.
and graduatingto a L*nn LP12 with ittok and soon to Dynavestor DV10x5 cartridge. Just how does on go about buying the right sounding and even more than that right matching equipment ?

Just take this scenario starting at the turntable we would need the following items

Turntable,  Arm,  Cartridge, interconnect to phono amp, amp, A to D converter, speakers, CD player or Txport, Tuner and say at least three sets of interconnects. I will ignore power blocks and the likes.

I am sure you will agree you can read a hi-fi mag, are these of any accurate value? I have a friend who was a journolist and he was sent to a aquarium to write on the various fish species for a magazine. He did not have much idea on fish but coild write a good collection of words!

Now back to the topic I have listed earlier the typical hi-fi list. Now if one only had a choice of three items for each of the 13 components involved that would equate to a series of 1,594,323 combinations.

This makes it even more essential that companies such as Graham Slee continue with the loan scheme. This not only helps us but shows the confidence of the maker regarding the quality of their product.
resovoir
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:37pm
It's not the maths that scares me, it's all those auditions! I think you have started in the right place and I have replied to you PM about a home loan.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Sidman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 11:55pm
I have recently brought my LP12 back into use with a Graham Slee phono stage, in the place of one that perhaps should not be naimed. Result is rediscovered vinyl sounding letter than I ever remembered it!
Could be the serviced LP12 but I suspect that Graham's amp has most to do with it. I am now thinking about a headphone amp!

Good luck 'Resovoir' you are on the right track to better your listening experience.
Listen to the music, not the gear!
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:37pm
Hi, your strife should benefit form a good & helpful dealer, (& of cours Graham's loan scheme!).

I am a firm believer in using your own ears, an don't being to swayed by others 'thoughts' or recommendations though as you say you need a base point!

Hi-fi mags can be a guide but from my experiences if you bought from their recommedations alone you would sell your wallet and ears short, though can be useful.

I think most of us would agree that vinyl does have many variables, so starting with a single source say CD may be  good starting point; TV if fed through your hardware also is a useful reference; I donlt mean music either anything from soaps to Dr Who!

Don't foregt the cabling (including mains and power HUB - personal crusade?), I have spent far more than the often said 10% cable rule many moons ago and have found the RIGHT upgrades are generally mopre affective than new hardware.

Key point keep it simple, ideally in your onw home and keep an open mind!!

regards
Richard
HR Puffingstuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HR Puffingstuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 1:27pm
testing testing
Spine tingle junkie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic