FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Active near field monitor recommndations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:12pm
I've just ordered a pair of Ruark MR1 active speakers. They are actually pint sized desktop speakers but have received some very nice reviews around the internet, claiming them to be punching well above their size and £300 pricetag. Now I'm not expecting them to be anywhere near truly HiFi by any GSPaudio standard but still good enough to use for background music listening and watching stuff on the laptop and these seemed to fit the bill nicely. They also come with "high res" bluetooth connectivity, although I'm betting there's still a marked tradeoff in sound quality to pay for that convenience so I'll probably stick with the 3.5mm wire connection.

In the future I'm planning on getting a proper speaker getup again with some nice Proprius fitted monitors but for now this will have to suffice. I should get them delivered tomorrow and will post my findings in the followng days. Hopefully they'll live up to the good reviews.

Edited by suede - 24 Feb 2015 at 3:15pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
earwiggo View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earwiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 3:44pm
Johan,

When you get round to choosing your next passive speakers there are quite a few to consider. The points being made about room size available is absolutely key. I auditioned the Proac 115, PMS Tb2i and the PMC 21 and all were very different in a room 3 metres wide and 4 metres deep, so quite small. My mind wanted the Proacs but the ears told me the PMC 21's gave a better sound stage, only because they were at their best only 15cm from the rear wall. So, in short have a good think about the space that the speaker has to fill first.

It was great fun deciding though!Smile
...If only I knew that yesterday!
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 4:19pm
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll probably stick with the small active speakers for a while now though. As I'm currently in the London rent circus I might well be moving a couple of times in the coming years and therefore probably a bad time to be choosing speakers.
Johan
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

As I'm currently in the London rent circus I might well be moving a couple of times in the coming years ...

Not fun! My daughter's hunting again having just split with boyfriend. Sorry, completely off topic.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

Originally posted by suede suede wrote:

As I'm currently in the London rent circus I might well be moving a couple of times in the coming years ...

Not fun! My daughter's hunting again having just split with boyfriend. Sorry, completely off topic.

Sorry to hear that Ifor. The very best of luck to her finding a new place swiftly.

Johan
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 7:43pm
Call me psychic, today I got a call from my acting landlord telling me the property group that owns my building is now in the process of "restructuring" and come June I need to vacate my flat as they've decided to sell the house and invest in other property. Ouch

Well at least my speakers won't be so difficult to move now, speaking of...

I've now had the Ruark MR1 speakers for a couple of weeks and I must say I'm very happy for what they are. They have a very clear and engaging sound with a lush mid, at times quite incredible given their small size and they're not to shabby at handling the more complex passages in songs either, again given their size and price. The treble is also very nice, well defined yet not too sharp, but the bass is where they are lacking some. It's not very deep and I suspect a subwoofer (which can be easily connected) would actually be a good addition here. I do however have them standing on a coffee table in the middle of the room (on either side of my laptop) and placing them nearer to a wall will probably give a fuller bass. But all in all I can warmly recommend these £299 active speakers to anyone looking for an inexpensive but good second or even third system.
Even if I put together a proper HiFi system again, which of course I will some day, I know I'll still have good use for a neat and portable small system like this one.

Edited by suede - 19 Mar 2015 at 7:44pm
Johan
stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 8:21pm
I recently bought a pair of Spirit Absolute  2`s for £30 and could not be happier Smile
They are passive studio monitors but work just fine being driven by my Denon M33

Edited by stuxter - 05 Apr 2015 at 8:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic