FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Some speaker considerations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 12:18am
Found a place in Cork that ostensibly only does TVs and surround systems but in the last month has started to bring in some separates. Rega RP1s and RP3s,and Marantz gear. They also had interesting choices in speakers, Mission, Q Acoustics, KEF and Focal. They allowed me to take over their listening room for about 3 hours this afternoon. I used the Jolla & Voyager combo into a Marantz PM5005 and fell in love with the sound from a set of Focal Chorus 706's.
Voyager got an interesting reaction from the owner of said shop :-), I have passed on details.
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 7:42am
It's a shame you couldn't hear the Polks or Dalis, but it's great that you have found a speaker that you like, hope they work for you at home. Well done for exposing GSP to another potential user Thumbs Up
Derek
less View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote less Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 8:59am
Glad you like the Focals.
I heard a pair of Focals at the Bristol HiFi show a couple of years back and was very impressed. Been hankering after a pair ever since.
Might go along to the show in 2015 and see if I can pick up a discounted pair

Les
I don't do mediocrity!

Les Sutherland
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 9:16am
Very good, new Focal speakers for Christmas! Happy listening Robbie.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
robbiec View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbiec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 4:27pm
Thanks guys. Dunno if I'll have them before Christmas though. They wouldn't let me have the demo units. He started me off with a set of Q Acoustics 2020s which were nice small little units and had a good mid range, bass I felt became a bit fuzzy. Onto its big brother the Concept 20 and immediately you could hear that they more in control, happier with going higher and lower. Then the Focus came out and I was like WTF! these are the business, ran through 5 or 6 different bands quite quickly with my smile getting bigger as every minute passed. Finally I put on a live recording of Rammstein and turned them up just to see... All I was missing was the smell, sweat and jostling of the mosh pit. Pure drive and energy, and no distortion at all from the 706's, it was like, monsieur? is this all you have?
I then tried the KEF Q300's, the salesman telling me that they were fabulous which they may well be with someone like Joni Mitchell or Rachel Yamagata in isolation but they couldn't rock like the Focal's and when push came to shove they were also outclassed when listening to a Tori Amos on song. They felt to me a bit constrained, less bandwidth. So all in all a good afternoons outing. Blew my €400 budget a bit though :-)
Hang on tightly, let go lightly.

Voyager x 2 | Bitzie | Gran Amp 2 SE | Solo SRGII | PSU1 x 3 | Proprius x 2 | Majestic | Rega Planar 2 & Exact | Focal Aria & Elegia
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:23pm
I heard a pair of Dalis at my local record store last week. I had never heard of this brand but man they sounded great! I didn’t think they were the most attractive units. Sound is the most important, but I also want something pretty to look at. The Focal Kansas are beautiful. I also like the Focal BE series. All friggin costly though....
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:23pm
Focal Kanta not Kansas!!! Doh!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic