FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Raspberry Pi streaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
Author
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 6:02pm
I was thinking along the lines of:
Raspberry Pi (OEM or install your own software)
Colour Screen for simple interface/Artwork display
Bitzie DAC
Headphone output
Line level output
Control via basic buttons or external PC, Smart phone etc

A step too far perhaps?
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 8:43pm
The biggest issue is the software support, it needs to be something that is supported easily and preferably out of the box. The experience of Moode and Cary shows what a burden software licensing and management can be, before we even start on technical support.

Hat wise there is a a lot cheap mass production boards that would seem to make a system more feasible option. I would be interested if Ian Canada's boards are hand assembled.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic.

The weakness of the Raspberry Pi's power supply arrangement and hat analogue will certainly be areas that will benefit from the Slee effect.

If you are interested Graham I can loan you my DAC hat for a month or two if you want to check out another product.

Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

A step too far perhaps?

Software is.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

If you are interested Graham I can loan you my DAC hat for a month or two if you want to check out another product.

Steve, I'm sure we've still got things you've sent me over the years which I now can't find, so be very careful here... Wink

Perhaps best to loan it to John C and he can let me have a listen, and remove it from me when the time comes Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
peterb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
Came across this when I was looking into Volumio, the headless player I use with my PI and it reminded me of another thread on this Forum about Room Setups.
If you follow the link on that page to REW it seems that it is possible to measure your room's acoustics and 'see' what any physical changes you make do to it. Could be a useful tool if you have the hardware and patience!

Peter
---------------------------------------
Dual 505-1, Cyrus CD T, DIY 80W MosFet amp and PreAmp, 2xKEF 103.2
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:52am
Good tip Peter. I've got REW and it was helpful in positioning bass traps. It is great value if you have the mic, preamp, and cable already. The waterfall graphs helped me to understand my listening room's behaviour. I found averaging several mic positions close to my listening position (learnt from using Audyssey on my AVR) helped to get a consistent approach when changing things in the room.

REW is also handy for driver (loudspeaker) measurements for which I used my USB mic preamp and its headphone output.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bencat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 12:54pm
Just joined this forum so doing quite a bit of catch up so please excuse me if I repeat a littel that has gone before . I have been using a Raspberry Pi as source and streamer for about six years now and have been delighted with the function and quality of the units.

I currently have a Raspberry Pi 3+ with Max2play download and a USB 2TB hard Drive connected acting as my server . This has free Logitech Media Server as the operation software . This is sited next to my router and connected by ethernet cable .

I then use a varierty of Streamer / Players to get a digital signal whhich I then feed in to my various systems . I have a Logitech SBT units plus a Logitech SBT Clone (Raspberry Pi + Just Boom Digi hat + Pi 7 inch Touch screen) and also a few Squeeze Player units which are old O2 Joggelers which have been reflashed to be LMS players please note these only have USB out so either a USB dac needed or I use some cheap USB to SPDIF converters.

Sound quality is as good as anything I have heard to date and is in general govered by the DAC you use in to your system . In my case this is a MiniDSP DDRC 24 unit which takes the digital signal and in my active converted KEF 103 speakers case does the corssover and DAC duties plus gives you remote volume control . The MiniDSP is feeding two Fidele modified Quad 405 power amplifiers one for each speaker . Sound is fast details and very impressive . I know that because I did all the work to convert the speakers I am biased but I am very happy with the end results . If any of you are going to the HiFi Wigwam show at Kegworth then I will have this system to audition in my room listed as Bencat . Come along have a listen and a chat and then tell me how awful or good you think it sounds .

My second system is in my music room downstairs . This uses the simplest of Raspberry Pi units just a Raspberry Pi 3+ with Justboom Digi board in a small plastic case . Optical out straight in to another MiniDSP DDRC 24 this time with all crossovers by passed but the DIRAC Live software used as DSP for room correction then in to my Krell KSA50 Mk1 and on to my Quad ESL 57 speakers . This system sounds amazing and I am only now getting to hear much of what i think I missed on lots of tracks . It is not for everybody as the bass out put from the Quad is in proportion with the mid and treble and fits perfectly so you can hear it and the slam of the bass when it is used. There is no deep bass but I do not expect this the panels would need to be huge to give real low bass but I find myself lost in the music and never looking for waht is not there.

Just a note to get most Raspberry Pi units with DIGI hats working I use the PiCore Player download which is free but this only works with LMS so for those using a different option (Roon,Volumio etc) then you will need to use their software fixes . Given the costs of a new Pi and setting it up as a server I have say it is excellent and along the way I have learned new things which is a nice added bonus .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
  Share Topic