FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

USB Audio Marketing A Scam?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Audio Marketing A Scam?
    Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 9:03pm
Regular readers will be aware of my rantings about isochronous v. asynchronous USB audio streaming.

Because of a technique where isochronous uses a S/PDIF-like phase locked loop, any isochronous device using it is classed as adaptive isochronous or simply just adaptive.

I had been pondering on just how to get USB to do the higher rates of 96 kHz and 192 kHz as a minority of people had spurned my USB offerings (Bitzie USB DAC and Majestic DAC USB input).

I think I now know how it is done!

This is only my theory and I may be way out of order, but...

By the looks of things, instead of having a driver such as foobar2000 (or MAC equivalent) use its own drivers to convert 96k or 192k "in the computer" suitable to drive an adaptive 48k USB chip, you either make your adaptive 48k chip only work with your own drivers, and those drivers do the same as the music player drivers of foobar2000 etc, or...

You put the software outboard into the device itself so that it does the same thing in driving an adaptive 48k USB chip... conveniently having been all put on a wafer at a fab plant (naming no names) and ensure you don't put anything like timing diagrams on your data-sheets (or the game would be over).

Then what seems to happen is you market the chip to companies who make "audiophile" USB audio streaming devices, and they tell you they're asynchronous and superior to adaptive.

I am only deducing the above theory from work done over on the head-fi community (of all places) and here is the link...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546092/confirming-whether-your-dac-is-asynchronous-as-claimed-or-not

WARNING: the topic linked is of a highly technical nature and difficult to understand.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 6:36pm
Did you hear the one about the chap who thought denial was a river in Egypt?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Did you hear the one about the chap who thought denial was a river in Egypt?

"Denial is not just a big river in Africa."

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic