FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Anthony Gallo MPS150 Subwoofer "pop"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Gallo MPS150 Subwoofer "pop"
    Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 12:40pm
Any thoughts/advice on this please?

I have the subwoofer above, which has an annoying pop sound.  This is happening about every 8-10 mins with the sub either in "on" position or "auto" position.  In auto, it is signal sensing (ok, so you knew that already).

The pop is the same sort of sound as when you switch the sub on or when it switches on having sensed a signal.  Problem is that, in auto mode, it doesn't actually go to "on" mode (thought it does if you feed it a signal) and it happens in "on" mode when you're listening to music.

It's under warranty but I'm just not keen on sending it back to Scotland if there's a simple fix.  Any ideas?

I should say that I really like the Gallo sub and the micro/A'Diva satellite speakers so am not dissing them here.  I've owned them on a personal level for a couple of years (had the TR1 sub too) without any problems until now.  I like them so much that we've taken on the brand ourselves for Audio Elevation and have already made a sale.  That's interesting in itself because the customer bought the Gallos instead of the Usher s520 speakers (which we like lots).  He basically bought partly on looks in the end (they look cute on wallflower stands) and didn't like the boxy Ushers or the "industrial" stands I had them on at the dem. 

I'm off to start another thread now on if/when folk buy on the aesthetics as much as the sound!....e.g. we have a Thorens turntable in Anise (a wood finish) and it sounds fine.  Just got a piano black version in for a customer (same cost) and it looks sooooo much better.  Question is, does it sound better in piano black?  It looks like it does!

Over to you.
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:19am
Hard to say for sure whats causing the problem exactly

Have you tried slapping the side of the sub with your hand?   if not give it a try to see if the pop sound occurs after a slapLOL  mainly just to be sure of no intermittent connections , sockets etc

Have you tried unplugging the signal feeding the sub?  power the sub up and see if it pops without any signal/source connected

Possibly be a dodgy capacitor in the PSU or even a bad solder joint that looses connection when its had chance to warm up.

Could even be some protection circuitry,  things like a relay,  I've also known loose fuse sockets  (the metal bits that clamp onto the fuse)  to go loose and cause loud clicks and pops in power amps

Edited by leo - 26 Aug 2008 at 2:20am
Darren/Audio Elevati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren/Audio Elevati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 12:07pm
Hi Leo

Tried it just plugged into the mains with nothing else connected except the 6.3 jack to jack lead that goes from the amp module to the speaker unit below it.  Still pops.

Pop goes louder if the volume is louder.  Does that help?

Gallo in the US suggested maybe a mains fault, which sounded odd to me.  Then I did a dem on Sunday and it didn't pop at all in Emmodd's front room!  Back to mine and it pops again within 10 mins.  I'm going to take it to bed tonight to see if it pops on another mains socket - don't worry, the Missus will never suspect anything odd is going on...

How are you liking the Audio Elevation speaker wires/interconnects?  Are they any good?
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 1:13pm
Seems odd to me too, if it was the mains I wouldn't expect the pop to change in volume just by altering the subs gain,  its as though the problem is in the pre stage with it altering with the volume.
Of course try it plugged into a different mains socket just to see if it changes anything ,  I wonder if the input gain stage of the sub is picking something up?  you got any switch mode powersupplys etc plugged in close by?

I  got the cables only last night, I can't try the speaker cable just yet for obvious reasonsWinkLOL  I'll give the interconnects a try though with the Headphone amp first

Edited by leo - 26 Aug 2008 at 1:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic