FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Best Speaker Cable??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 12:16am
Originally posted by John C John C wrote:

If you want to know the true properties of tin, and how little lead is actually needed to stop the problems of lead free solder, just type 'tin pest' or 'tin plague' into your favourite search engine and have a good read. It's what Graham and I were doing a few years ago.

SmileBig%20smile....CryCry......Big%20smileBig%20smile...CryCry.....ConfusedConfused....Big%20smileBig%20smile....CryCry.......Big%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileBig%20smileLOLLOL

The above is how we felt as we tried many different components until eventually finding things that worked.

What gets me is that we noticed how it changed our products sound, but I've never heard one complaint about the manufacturers who kept silent...

Must be absolutely fantastically brilliant scientists to change over without a single snag, or that they're good at brainwashing their customers. Either that or a visit from "HM Weights and Measures" could expose they're still using Lead!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by John C John C wrote:

Good old fasioned copper, that's my favourite for cables.
Also sceptical about braiding speaker cables...

I'll stop here for now.

Don't stop ... my experience with braiding is that it's worth jack if you run your speaker cable over the top of a PSU!! My wife bought me a Wii at Christmas .. duely plugged it in and enjoyed boxing the crap out of a graphical character Smile .. however I fired up the HiFi later and noticed a serious change in the sound. Stereo seemed to be there .. but the image was way over to the left! Weird I though and preceeded to mess .. it took a couple of hours to twig .. I moved the speaker cable away from the Wii PSU, and hey presto ... image back to normal!!

My cables are kimber 4PS to the tweeters and homemade braided Cat5 for the Woofers. So ... braiding doesn't really reject interference I would say! That said .. the work well otherwise!
Semper in excretum, nil profundum variat.
Non illigitimum carburundum!
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
John C View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

gspaudio moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:31am
As you say Sol, braiding doesn't reject interference. The psu for the Wii is probably a switcher too. If so you're looking at anywhere between 20-40kHz rfi which would probably explain what you found. I've never really seen the point of braiding speaker cables/high level audio. We used to braid or twist cables for low level audio when I worked in broadcast and recording audio but only for balanced circuits as it reduces crosstalk. These cables also usually had a screen of some kind, whether it be an individual screen for each pair of wires or an overall screen for anything from 4-pair to 50-pair multicore (a bit like the stuff in the green boxes in the street - BT). I'm talking similar types of run lengths too (sometimes kilometres not metres). Given the right environment these cables may perform perfectly well but in these days of 'energy efficiency' more equipment is using switch-mode supplies and the wrong placement of these will cause some problems. I'd always use a screened interconnect. Watch out for energy saving lightbulbs tooLamp. When we first built the new workshop at Grahams everything we tested was giving a high noise reading, that was until we removed the new bulb from above the test gear and replaced it with a good old filament type. We've since rearranged the test gear.

That boxing game's fantastic. My mate got a Wii for Christmas too. We went over for dinner and he'd created Mii's for my missus, me and our little one. I nearly wet myself when I saw the one for our lass, it looked just like her LOL. Need to get one for myself now.

Edited by John C - 24 Jan 2008 at 11:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic