FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager goes AC-DC!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voyager goes AC-DC!
    Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 9:36am
Remember those valve (tube) amps from the 40's - 50's that ran on AC or DC mains?

No, I don't either, but I've a few schematics of them so I know they once existed.

Well, the Voyager was designed with an on-board rectifier originally to prevent reversed connection of a DC power supply, but it does mean it can be powered from AC (BUT NOT STRAIGHT OFF THE MAINS!)

So what's it like on AC?

No noticeable difference!

In fact, half of those that have been sold so far have been sold with AC power supplies! And nobody, until the other day, noticed!

Actually our new Japanese distributor commented the power supplies were AC out, so I reckon now we ought to make it official.

All the US mains voltage Voyagers to date have been supplied with the AC to AC power supply!

Nifty! Clap

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:16am
Hi Graham, being a trouble maker is one of the few thing I excell at. Thus I am including the thumbnail below of one of the first voyagers (high gain version), a beta version nontheless. Click on the thumbnail to view the full size and be surprised. Yes I am an stinker, aint I? Evil%20Smile

Miguel
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 12:17am
I almost forgot, any update on your idea for a new case for the Voyager?
Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 2:05am
Hi Miguel,

It's now got a "bling" label. Instead of the plastic insert it's now anodized aluminium: black with silver print. More classy but could loose it's newness more quickly as "bling" things ain't quite as hard wearing...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2008 at 11:27pm
Personally a portable amp should be of a material the not only can take the abuse but will not show wear. The problem w/ highly polished or even brush aluminum finish is that although beautiful they will show wear and tear quite easily.

The abs type enclosures are more forgiving and lighter. The one are where a metal enclosure might have an advantage is in not picking up radio or phone interference, but this come at a higher cost, higher weight, and scratches/dings showing much more (IMO).
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic