FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Super Voyager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 7:20pm
Points to address:

Battery (or batteries): having asked metalworkers how they could incorporate a form of battery access, I have still to receive an answer, and I don't think I ever will. An option would be to keep the existing plastic case, but more on that below. If there is to be no battery access, the the battery would have to be soldered in place because, otherwise, corrosion would eventually affect performance (edit: that's battery contact corrosion). The ideal answer would be to use a bought-in battery compartment, but they are bulky.

Case: the original case is good from a wear and tear point of view, and several Voyagers have been around the world with their owners, and have clocked up more air-miles than most humans (apart from airline crew). However, most people want looks rather than longevity, witnessed by their willingness to spend big-time on delicate mobile phones. Many express their dislike for the existing case or anything thicker than a wafer. We are not Apple or Samsung, or a mutinational brand, and to make something like that requires a projected sales turnover in the several thousands - this is not going to happen. To house a PP3 (E-cell) battery, the case has to be thicker than it. To house a battery drawer that takes such a battery, the case has to be even thicker. It cannot be a wafer!

Op-amp rolling: the 8 pin DIL package is on borrowed time. SOIC (small outline integrated circuit) packages are replacing 8 pin DIL op-amps at an alarming rate. The price of adaptors required to convert SOIC to DIL sockets is considerable. The economical solution is to use SOIC straight onto the board - surface mount. The only way to roll an op-amp would be to desolder it and solder in an alternative. Valves may well have been "rolled" but transistors were not, and all an op-amp consists of is a predetermined transistor configuration. There was a time when folk just trusted that the engineer knew his job... not so now, it would seem.

Use: from what "real" people tell me (those who are not wanting to make a fashion statement or those who don't feel they, as solicitors, bank managers, surgeons, interior designers, marketing executives etc, are better than a time served audio design engineer), all that is wanted is a high performance battery portable amplifier that goes a step beyond the existing Voyager. Could this be spelled out in terms I can understand?

Hopefully the above will be taken constructively and answered similarly.

Thank you,

Graham

Edited by Graham Slee - 08 Feb 2015 at 1:17pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 7:03pm
What you say Graham makes a lot of sense. To my mind performance, and reasonable convenience, are the most important factors. No one could honestly expect an iPhone sized case.
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic