New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Samsung S3 and Bitzie DAC/USB Headphone Amplifier
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Samsung S3 and Bitzie DAC/USB Headphone Amplifier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
par View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote par Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samsung S3 and Bitzie DAC/USB Headphone Amplifier
    Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 5:21pm
Hi,

I currently use the Voyager headphone amplifier with my Samsung S3 smart phone.

I connect the Samsung S3 3.5 mm audio socket output to the input of the Voyager headphone amplifier.

I have music in FLAC format on the S3 and use Poweramp to play the music.

I have seen that the Bitzie DAC/USB headphone amplifier is advertised as working with a Samsung S3 smart phone.

I have a number of questions regarding using the Bitzie DAC/USB headphone amplifier with the Samsung S3:

1. Does the Bitzie connect to the micro USB port of the S3?

2. Is the output from the Samsung S3 to the Bitzie in digital format in order that the Bitzie DAC rather than the DAC in the Samsung S3 is used?

3. Would you expect the Samsung S3 to sound better if the output is fed to the Bitzie rather than the Voyager? (i.e. I am assuming this will be dependent on whether the DAC of the Bitzie is used).

Many thanks.

Paul.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2013 at 6:07pm
Hello Par,

1. Yes (requires OTG cable)

2. The output from the S3 to the Bitzie is in digital format. The DAC in the Bitzie is used.

3. Those who have tested this tell me the sound from the Bitzie is superior to the sound from the S3, and based on the GI-GO argument (garbage in - garbage out) it will not be as good from the Voyager but the Voyager is not at fault.

Hopefully those having experience of the S3/Bitzie combination will chip in with their observations.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
par View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote par Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 9:07pm
Graham,

Thanks for the swift response.

If the Bitzie DAC/USB is plugged into the Samsung On The Go (OTG) cable will it just be recognised by the Samsung S3 or does an app or drivers need to be loaded onto the S3?

Cheers,

Paul.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2013 at 9:11pm
You need a chap called Leo to answer that. I'll try and get him to tell you how he did it.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
leo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 7:32am
Hi Paul,

The beauty with the Bitzie is that its simple plug and play with the S3. I plugged the OTG cable into the Bitzie first and then into the S3 micro USB socket, no drivers or special software was needed when I tried it with mine, FW was Jellybean 4.1.2.
I found the Bitzie to be a very worthwhile upgrade over the S3's internal dac, the Bitzie's internal headphone amp is also excellent and provides more than enough volume for my needs.

http://audio-forum.gspaudio.co.uk/otg-bitzie_topic1714_page1.html

Is it classA ???
par View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote par Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 5:44pm
Leo,

Thanks very much for the information.

I will put my name down for a loan of a Bitzie.

I would primarily use the Bitzie with my laptop - the working with the Samsung S3 will be an added bonus.

Cheers,

Paul.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 10:47pm
Good news, the Bitzie queue is now quite short! Please pm me if I can help.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic