FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Proprius Speaker Mounting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 1:47pm
Yes thanks, it's my own design - first I made MDF prototypes to get the sound as I wanted it, then had the material cut by CNC. Although they have 'sides/top' there is no rear. The material is 25mm thick and rather heavy

Midrange drivers are Magnesium/Aluminium and because these are open baffle, there is no enclosure to restrict speed of response, hence great transients. This picture is in the lounge - in the music room they are well away from walls for best sound
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 10:24pm
They look wonderful Andrew and I'm sure they sound sublime from what you say. Have you worked out where on each of the speakers you would attach the Proprius amp?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2013 at 11:24pm
Thanks Jon, I don't think its so much my skills, or lack thereof that create the amazing sound, it's more the digital crossovers/phase and time alignment correcting my mistakes !

It is still an 'if' rather than a 'where' to mount amps at the moment though as I really am unsure about the effect on the electronics. I started this thread because I believe people here can give me proper objective advice rather than my own random findings and possibly misguided impressions

I am sorry to say I am quite a fussy listener and do notice quite small changes though Sick.

For a few years when I had little spare cash to indulge the hobby, I played around with all sorts of isolation and it surprised me what different materials did to the sound...

I used granite slabs on a metal rack... lots of attack and lively. I also tried making a couple of bases from many discarded wine corks and these made the sound 'flabby' so I discarded that (but enjoyed 'the process...hic !) . Inevitably the metal/stone seemed quite bright so I moved to wood, eventually air suspension/wood (Voodoo) which I still use to this day. My wife no longer raises her eyebrows when she hears me pulsing away in my room with a bicycle pump, or indeed my vacuum RCM sucking away but that's another story ! Embarrassed The Voodoo rack definitely gives a warmer, more organic sound to my ears.

I also used various other materials, squash balls, pieces of Tempur foam (good god I hear people say...i know...) etc as equipment feet and actually settled on some home made cones I turned on a lathe from a couple of cheap and very solid spade handles.

As you may deduce, I am rather inquisitive and love to experiment but not really in a scientific way. I just trust what I hear and I do honestly believe vibration from the air and supporting surface has an impact as all these materials seem to impart a sonic signature.

So, what I am trying to find out is whether/how circuit boards and electronics used in solid state equipment react to vibration & if this is irrelevant, why do I think I hear a difference?
Andrew
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 9:40pm
We British are good at promoting faddiction...

Whereas the Portuguese and Spanish were bringing back gold and silver from their overseas escapades, the British had no such luck! We did however discover sugar, tea (tcha), coffee and tobacco and made the world faddicts in exchange for their gold and silver. Cool

Alongside the enterprising Dutch we went even further and China still remembers it!

So are vibration cures faddiction and just another way of milking you for money?

Could they be your favourite mojo or actually based on real science?

And I'm sure there are more than the Brits marketing such things - don't the French love coffee? Wasn't the cigarette a worldwide hit!

When I can't give a definitive answer I - as well as giving entertaining introductions - look at "what we know" and in my case I understand a few things as follows:

Most speakers contain electronics called crossovers. Many are simply glued or screwed to the inside of the speaker cabinet, anchored to a printed circuit board or a tag strip.

Some of these speakers give wondrous performance - some don't.

I received a pair of a particular "some don't" about two years ago. They had the "Audiovile" wound paper in oil capacitors. They sounded as if they were stuffed with autumn leaves! I messed about changing the stuffing and altering the porting all to no avail - so I reverted them to standard issue. I then replaced the oil and paper caps with some rather boring good quality (from an engineering standpoint) stacked foil polyester capacitors. Huge improvement!

Maybe the speaker vibrations were causing the paper in oil to change value during play? I have no proof.

A passive crossover has no gain (put correctly it has unity gain or less) - it is not an amplifier.

If we add gain we increase the magnitude of the signal and the effects of vibration on that signal (should it exist).

Integrated valve amps of the type when I was about knee high had to feature extremely high (by today's standards) input impedance because they were called upon to match ceramic or crystal phono cartridges, tape heads (yes direct!) and microphones.

If you unplugged an input whilst that input was selected (before all the "girly" relay protection circuits you get in modern amps) you'd often hear a "ping". This was a case of vibration shaking the "filaments" - the grid, anode, cathode and heater of the valve causing a bit of oscillation for a fraction of a second.

I'm sure guitarists have noticed similar on their amps - especially valve jobs.

So that suggests solid state inputs can be susceptible to vibration too? Yes, if they are high enough impedance they will often "ping" or "ring" on connection/disconnection.

Once an input is connected however, few will be upset to such an audible extent. The source impedance (usually at least ten times smaller) damps it.

So what "pings" the high impedance solid state input? There are no valves here! Often there is a semiconductor we can term as being "loose" in the signal path: it's a capacitor of the electrolytic variety. Given sufficient circuit gain and high input impedance it can "ping" on unplugging the source. Electrolytics being polarised are actually semiconductors. Yes, including uni-polar devices which are simply two polarised caps in one can pointing in opposite directions.

What is the gain of a Proprius? It is much lower than a phono stage, mic amp or guitar pick-up amp. The gain is 25.

Does it use electrolytics in the input signal path? No, but it does use them elsewhere after a low output impedance front end - it may have some effect but I've not noticed any personally.

Can vibration influence any other part of the circuit? Obviously it must, but to what degree and will it make any difference?

I'm sure there are manufacturers and their anonymous supporters who will swear the difference is large enough to make people worry. It makes perfect financial sense for them to do so.

I'm not saying it does or doesn't, but I will conclude by asking you to read what the reviewers say about active loudspeakers they've reviewed - these contain amplifiers.

PS: In my experience it has been common practice in studios for many years to screw mono amps to the back of speakers to create an ideal amplified loudspeaker to the satisfaction of the sound engineers and producers.

PPS: Aren't quality speaker cabinets supposed to minimise cabinet vibrations? Otherwise they'd be highly colored?

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 10:23pm
Thanks Graham for taking the time, I know john is away and although you can't give a definitive answer (I guess there probably isn't one) your comment below is probably as close as anyone can get

"....Can vibration influence any other part of the circuit? Obviously it must, but to what degree and will it make any difference?..."

I completely agree that there are plenty of people making spurious claims about magical properties for their own vibration damping or other gadgets (ie certain cones converting vibration into heat, as if that is likely to have an audible effect !?). As I mention, my own 'experiments' are with home made materials at almost no cost because I was not prepared to put much money into possible gimmicks.

I too am quite a cynic with many of these things and unlike you, I do not understand electronics so for me a little knowledge is probably a dangerous thing. Having said that, until I heard your cables  last week, I was extremely cynical that above around £100 would make any real difference. YOURS DO !! Thumbs Up

Because my speakers are open baffle and contain nothing more than a capacitor to protect the ribbon tweeters, all the crossovers and amplification are taking place on the warm and cuddly wooden equipment rack. My nervousness is because the difference I got moving from some pretty decent speakers containing passive crossovers (Shahinian Obelisk and formerly Royd Doublets) to open baffle was dramatic and I have no idea how much of that was down to the crossovers location rather than their flavour.

Anyway before I give myself a headache, my coffee has gone cold, better add more sugar and skim off the fag ash that has collected whilst I write this....

Back to the music, easy to forget that this is why we love this hobby so much and I'm just discovering that your gear is pretty special. Like most people on here, I genuinely respect your views  Beer

Andrew
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 8:48am
I was a cable cynic too Drewan until a set of Spatia speaker cable arrived! A very noticeable improvement in bass response, imaging, soundstage, detail . . . .

It seems to me that the only answer to your question will come by actually trying some different configurations out, and listening for audible differences.

As the Proprius amps are pretty small how about using them on a small support (a wooden block with sorbothane semi-spheres for instance) behind each speaker. They should remain fairly well hidden, and only need a very short length of speaker cable. Then move the amps to the speaker base  . . .

Use some Lautus interconnects to the amps and you will have the best of all worlds. Maybe. Ermm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2013 at 9:21am
Yes Bob, your suggestion is probably the only way to resolve this. It will have to wait a while though because if I borrow a couple of Proprius amps & longer Lautus on the loan scheme, I would probably end up buying them all Ermm and I need to conserve funds a bit

I will console myself with new cables & the recent Reflex/PSU1 purchase !!

I have a few festivals to attend this summer, to say nothing of the constant stream of vinyl/cd I seem to keep buying - there's so much great music out there and it's good to balance the spending

Edited by Drewan77 - 11 Jun 2013 at 9:22am
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic