FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Lots to ask

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 11:50am
Yes, I think Jon has a loan unit - drop him a PM (Fatmangolf) . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

It cannot convert frequency responses but it is known to lessen the differences between headphone responses.

The Solo Ultra Linear Diamond Edition was designed very much with Grado in mind after lengthy discussions with a European Grado distributor. It doesn't have the secondary NFB which was found to be less beneficial with Grado headphones.

However, the ULDE was not exclusively designed for Grado use but for the widest possible use with all dynamic headphones.

Graham, hello.

thank you very much for your explanation of UL/SRG vs DE. Where does the Bitzie fit in this equation?

Best

James
Voyager - HD25
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Bradders Bradders wrote:

...there's a lot of mention of a 'valve sound' ,my only experience of valves are the old two valve record players you use to have(brings back great memories that) these had vertually no treble. I'm guessing this is not representative of quality valve amps but will the treble on the ultra linear be less than the Novo I have? I guess I'm asking will there be slightly less clarity to the sound?
I hope this makes sense?SmileSmile

It is often usual for the high-end to charge mega-bucks for worse than budget gear but that's not the Graham Slee way. However, as we've had sod all publicity for our 15 years existence I can understand your concerns.

The difference between an old Dansette or HMV record player and professional valve amplification is night and day. The 'modern valve' products are also IMO very much Dansette quality. (Graham gets ready for the backlash...)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 7:57pm

As a deff ole git who probably can't hear past 12K and loves his DHT SET amp, I can assure our friend that even I have heard greater extension at both frequency extremes from the Solo than I have heard from the Novo.

That aspect is only the icing on the cake, the UL is a whole new level of musical reproduction over the Novo, best of all, you can experience this transformation of your listening experience in the comfort of your own home, at no cost but postage - can't say fairer than that Approve

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Bradders Bradders wrote:

Hi TG I meant if I were to use the headphone amp out put? For example if I by the solo ultra linear for my headphone setup would using the Novo to drive just the power amp section of the arcam via the headphone output socket work and sound better?Smile

The only problem I could see with this was possible instability driving such a light load as an amplifier input, the Novo having been designed to drive headphones which are much lower impedance - 600 Ohms and below normally.

After simulating the phase margin and gain margin I have to warn that it may not be suitable unless modified.

By removing C13 A and B and replacing C4 A and B with a 1nF capacitor stability would be ensured into any load including all headphone loads. This assumes cable capacitance between 0 and 10,000pF!

However, this is a DIY audio hobbyist job, and would invalidate any warranty.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
paulgh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2013 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Don't be taken in by mentions of "valves" . . .  The treble detail of the UL will have the edge over the Novo. What you get out will reflect what the source puts in. The UL has a very "non-transistor" type sound (if I can put it that way) that takes it away from some of the harsh-sounding kit that's out there, but "valve-like" is a phrase that can bring up all the wrong sort of connotations IMO. 

I have not heard the Novo, but my Solo ULDE is very detailed with my grados. It certainly tames the treble, which sounded a bit harsh on my previous non-slee amp. But it has not lost any detail. I am hearing things that I could never hear with my previous amp, but I do not suffer from the listening fatigue I got with the old amp. The Solo ULDE is perfect for Grados, in my opinion.

Miy headphones are RS1i's. I have never heard the PS500's or PS1000's, but would like to some day. My understanding, from my reading, is that the PS500's have a different sound signature than the rest of the Grado line (which you can see from the frequency plot) so perhaps my comments might not apply as much to them.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic