FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Is High End dying?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 2:37pm
Graham, by the way things have been going, you won't getting a pension until you're in your 70s... Confused I think the governments are trying to tell older people something... And I better not get started on Criminal's Rights otherwise I won't stop.

As for needless gimmicks on audio products such as IR remote controls, why would you want them?? More electromagnetic radiation making the job harder than it needs to be. What's wrong with switches on the product that are set and then left? I like to keep things simple so I can focus on what is actually important: How it sounds??
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
DogBox View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogBox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

...focus on what is actually important: How it sounds??

Which is WHY we try to focus on WHAT does a better job of it: Digitally sent through the airwaves; Chopped and topped-and-tailed and put on CD [Re: Winning The Loudness Wars] OR NOT MINDING to have to get up and select what record [or, damn it, CD] and sit back down to "enjoy the recorded bit we can listen to that sounds like the 'live event' ". 

CAN the one's who can AFFORD the High End gear GOT the ears to appreciate it? I don't think so. 
What audiophile gets to own a "Stereo" that he/she is really happy with and WAS able to afford it? 
Is it because of the frequency bandwidth that vinyl recordings give us, the reason why so many are turning back to it and enjoying what they are hearing? Many Younger ones [with GOOD hearing] are liking what they hear... Maybe Hi-End is being 'shunned' by the mass's who are quite happy with the New and Highly Convenient [plus more affordable at the same time] "way" you can GET music at the Present time...? 

Thankfully, also there will be the one's that frequent a website/forum like this one in the Quest for "that sound" that makes your hair stand on end coming from good equipment/electronics that people who are passionate about what they do, make. And you can talk to the guy who makes it. Worth a heck of a lot, that money can't touch, to get a hold of. But it's right here! 

While you have the rich and the poor, you'll always have a High End. 

DogBox
Str8Wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Str8Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2020 at 2:21am
 After just reading through this entire interesting thread I think @hotmog has hit the nail on the head with his response. 

I also believe the well-to-do will buy the products that look to be expensive and there will manufacturers willing to make those products to fill that desire, not that they are necessarily that much “better” than less costly products. Some of the materials may be more exotic and costly but the limited production volume surely also adds to the cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic