FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Power Conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 7:20am
The current rating of an outlet does not relate to the quality of the supplied power or to the quality of the electrical connection.

Only use 20amp outlets on a 20amp circuit-breaker - supplied circuit with 12guage copper wire under 70 feet long.

To determine how much current you need on an outlet to supply your equipment, add up all units' individual current needed;
 for those units with power ratings only, on 120volts power... add 1amp for every 100 watts, that will be close enough.
Do not plug in more than 15amps worth of equipment on a 15amp circuit...

NOTE that many outlets may be connected to 1 circuit breaker, up to 8 outlets but usually no more than 4 duplex outlets.
  This means that a total of 15amps must be shared by all the outlets on the same 15amp circuit-breaker.

For safety,  never use push-in-the-back wire connection types,
 they can fail with a high resistance contact on the supply wire and can start fires when high currents are present.
And make sure the ground wire is securely connected to the outlet and metal box if a metal outlet box is present.

Look for outlets with either wire-wrap-arround-screw or wire-binded-under-screw-clamp connections.
In the US, I prefer to use 15amp, industrial grade or hospital grade, outlets on my critical power circuits.
 Industrial grade outlets are 1/2 the cost of hospital grade.
Here is a brake-down:

Consumer grade: about $1 to $2, not as low of a low resistance connection, plugs go in and out easy.
 Industrial grade: about $3 to $8, very good low resistance connection, plugs go in and out tighter.
Hospital grade: about $10 to $20, excellent low resistance connection, plugs go in and out very tight.

Edited by BAK - 07 May 2015 at 2:31pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 5:57pm
Thanks for all the valuable feedback Granam & Bruce.
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 12:03pm
a very timely topic. I was at a music dealer yesterday purchasing speakers. We were talking about the upgrade path. The guys said over cables or anything else, he says my first priority should be a power conditioner. I did some general browsing and found devices from $180 on Amazon to those costing in the thousands (especially) in the music stores. I have no idea where to begin....

Edited by Robnpg - 14 Jun 2020 at 12:03pm
Robnpg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robnpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2020 at 12:29pm
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:50am
I have a Furman PST-8 Power Conditioner and I cannot say that I have noticed a positive change in the sound. I definitely don’t hear a degradation that some people hear with power conditioners. I wanted a a nice surge protector as I live in the lightning capital of the world and I obviously care deeply about my hi-fi setup. I figured it was worth a few extra bucks to try out a power conditioner. The electrical system in my house is a bit wonky as well, so I figured I didn’t have much to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic