FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

USB cable burn-in?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Humboldt Humboldt wrote:

Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Why don't you try the Lautus USB? It's available on the loaner program.

Graham

This evening I received the Bitzie DAC and the Lautus USB cable. I have just briefly listened to the DAC, and will not say anything about it for the moment. But, I also connected the Lautus USB cable into my old equipment to have a direct comparison with my old cable. O Boy, I had expected a very good cable, but this cable is spectacular. It is almost incredible. And, so you just know, I am comparing it with a well known supposed to be very high end USB cable. The Lautus is an absolute bargain if you ask me for my opinion. I am going to order a second cable.  
That was my reaction too - it allowed the Bitzie to really show off. You're in for a good time!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 9:28am
Because of the attacks on us by cable skeptics, one of which resulted in Advertising Standards involvement, today we have invited Cherry Clough Consultants to audit what we do!

Some may recall Cherry Clough Consultants assisting Advertising Standards to disprove claims made by a distributor? That is exactly why we invited them!

We attach great importance to making scientifically correct products and not making ridiculous claims. Maybe this will at last silence those skeptics so they go and pick on somebody else?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 9:45am
Thumbs Up
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 9:57am
Good move.
Fighting fire with fire?
However it goes against the grain to be reminded that we have to prove truth & honesty, the implication being that we start with lies not truth.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 8:21pm
A difference was measured between the source end of the Lautus USB and the other end (either side of its filter). We didn't dwell on that because at £200/hour we also wanted to do EMC checks on other products. The new phono stage passed with flying colours by the way.

Armed with the knowledge learned today we will be more confident in being able to present proper measurements which we can back up - we already can present proper audio frequency tests that can be backed up due to our calibrated analysers - but here we are talking of frequencies up to 1.5GHz (as required by EU legislation).

Most audio manufacturers base compliance on assumptions, or worse they simply list some compliance standards to justify CE marking. A large US amplifier manufacturer (part of a well-known group) even lists the wrong standard. We plan to follow through our own consultant-assisted tests with independent certified test-house compliance testing.

Yes, the inference from such as Advertising Standards seems to be we start from lies. I think that is because being small means we are easy prey. We will make sure that is no longer the case.

Obviously we would never divulge anything said to us in confidence, but if asked how many manufacturers comply with CE marking, we might just knowledgeably answer, very few!

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Apr 2015 at 8:26pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
JamesD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 9:00pm
Well done.

Maybe the big companies don't bother with the expense of CE/EMC testing unless someone actually proves that their product(s) don't comply. Ironic that they are the ones that can most probably afford to do it properly.

At my previous place of employment we used a company called Compliance out at Great Hucklow who seemed to be very helpful with regards to sifting out what and wasn't required given the vast number of standards (some of which aren't that clear) in existence.
Aren't ears brilliant
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:42am
Good news about the EMC checks, Graham. But not surprising given the standards you design to.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic