FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Op-amp ground BS!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:38am
I'm not even going to take a look.

It's quite straightforward:

I've been in engineering since age 16. Apprentice trained and educated by two of the largest UK engineering firms ever. I am now 64. I simply don't care what they say against me anymore. If they want to vent off their ignorance in public, let them!

My electronics design career started in making wrongly designed disco gear work properly, whilst holding down a day job as AV resources officer for a local authority (hey! I now have a local gov't officer's pension! Yay!)

I was selling my own 100W power amp kits in my early twenties.

I was a one-time contributing author in Everyday Electronics aged 26.

Finding I could earn 5 times as much than a LGO, and turning self-employed, I designed, developed and made bespoke electronics for Cable & Wireless Group; Plessey Semiconductors; Siemens Medical; and other less-famous brands.

Aged 34 I was taken on by the Radio Hallam group (YRN: Viking, Pennine; Hallam and Magic AM) as senior engineer of their Audionics engineering division: I co-designed a number of BBC studio mixing desks and peripherals (at least ex-BBC-music turned hifi reviewer, Janine Elliot remembers); commercial radio mixing desks; Granada and Central TV talkback systems; half the circuits in the 50 BBC World Service self-operated mixing consoles and 100% of the panel ware; a stereo 6-channel portable mixing desk, 30WPC studio monitor power amp, and a headphone amp for BBC Stores/Canford Audio. As well as the work I brought with me from Cable & Wireless. Not bad for 4 years!

Just like Morgan Jones, I was the victim of cuts, but not BBC ones; a competing broadcaster bought YRN and scrapped its engineering division!

I did what I could for the next 4 years: in addition to two crap day jobs - rebuilding a HGV MOT test rolling road control desk; building 1000 watt amps for (not allowed to say); researching and prototyping for a patent; freelance R&D engineer for (not allowed to say) hi-fi manufacturer; and so on.

Aged 43 I set up GSP Audio on just £60, doing what I like: electronics for vinyl; headphone amps; a power amp; two D to A's; and so on - peaking at £400K revenue. After 15 years took my money out, paid the mortgage up, and set up HiFi System Components Ltd; net worth £130K - more than most 'small' UK hi-fi manufacturers (feel free to check on any of the company check websites).

I may not be able to gush out pages of calculus like Self or Jones, but I think I did a lot more than put an amp and a speaker in a box for Capital Radio; and I think I was a bit more than a BBC maintenance engineer; plus I didn't do 'a load of sh*t' like an American outfit: what I made/make isn't sh*t.

Now, if my critics can beat my career experience then I suppose they're suitably qualified, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. Plus, if they were that well educated they'd have control over their incontinence!

Oh, and to top it all off, there's my phono preamp patent. Wink

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic