FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HD greedsters - it ain't rock'n'roll old chum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:37pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 7:03pm
Hands up all those in possession of a printed circuit board? Yes you! You've plenty of them, and so have I. Just wanted you to know how irresponsible you and I are in encouraging the use of (wait for it) chemicals, by buying any and all things electronic - not forgetting your coal consumption!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:02am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

OK, I could understand digitally mastered vinyl before we had the equipment to reproduce digital files satisfactorily at home.

But for the last 15 years or so, we've had the ability to play digitally mastered music, without the need for all these inter-stage processes, and obtain great results - especially with the more "human" digital and analogue filters.

So why these days make vinyl records at all, unless the only master available is analogue? (I can accept that). But to add all the extra hurdles makes absolutely no sense - and, yes, I know I earn a living selling phono stages, but come on!

Oh, and don't be taken in by "non-toxic" and "eco-friendly" because you'll show your ignorance. How do you think vinyl is made? It is made using gas!!! Its manufacturing process liberates CO2 to the atmosphere - and other chemicals of which some are toxic (although, being a gardener, I like CO2 because it makes my veggies grow).

I treasure my vinyl, but since the availability of well-made digital recordings (yes, even 16 bit), and the electronics which can reproduce them really well, then my only "eco-crime" is the same as everybody's - COAL!

(I guess ex of the mining industry engineers have to be seen as cloth cap wearers and belittled, or we could make others believe in the laws of thermodynamics - their god forbid!)

An excellent set of arguments for only buying s/h vinyl (and indeed s/h components) given that it's already too late to do anything about the CO2 output + raw materials consumption involved. As for new vinyl - I'm aware that some of the artists involved record digitally (others are determinedly AAA), but like to persuade (kid?) myself that my allotment + the raised beds in my garden at least offset the carbon footprint involved. And nowadays I limit myself to s/h vinyl for anything non-"current" - unless it's never been on vinyl before (recent e.g. - Home by Terry Hall). We all have to live with our own hypocrisies and weaknesses, eh? Collecting LPs and listening to them (in an unheated listening room while wearing an extra layer) would seem to be one of the less harmful ones in the current Developed Western (sic.) scheme of things...
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 2:02pm
To be Eco-Friendly in this modern world we have made for are self's and listen to music is "Nye on impossible" even if you listen to someone playing a musical instrument. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic