FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Disc Stabilizer/Record Clamp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc Stabilizer/Record Clamp
    Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:23pm
I have an Audio-Technica At618 Disc Stablizer, and wanted to know what the forum thinks.

Audio-Technica AT618 Disc Stabilizer Specifications
- Top cylinder: 66.3 mm (2.6 inches) diameter
- Height from top to bottom: 30.6 mm (1.2 inches)
- Bottom cylinder: 80 mm (3.2 inches) diameter
- Weight: 600 g (1.3 lbs.)

I see an VIP weights 13.7 oz (0.85625 lbs), and an Clearaudio weight is 13.5 oz (0.84375 lbs).

My 1200's handles these fine, I wanted to know if I put this on a Rega RP6 if that would put to much weight on it?
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:47pm
Rega's have not been made to be used with Disc weight stablizers nor such clamp-like Michells Shocked 
The sound gets dull and the involvement gets lost on the vilt mat (experience with P3's and P5)

You should use them as constructed on light rigid table(Ikea) or wallrack(Rega) > ....
....upgrade-virus? Buy the next higher-up level Rega Smile

Edited by Cyreg - 17 May 2012 at 10:50pm
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
garygillespie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garygillespie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Cyreg Cyreg wrote:

Rega's have not been made to be used with Disc weight stablizers nor such clamp-like Michells Shocked 
The sound gets dull and the involvement gets lost on the vilt mat (experience with P3's and P5)

You should use them as constructed on light rigid table(Ikea) or wallrack(Rega) > ....
....upgrade-virus? Buy the next higher-up level Rega Smile

I have a lot of warped records, so I know that the stablizers help.
That's kinda discouraging from me wanting to buy a Rega now.
Looks like I'll have to look back into the tt's I originally had on my list:
Music Hall MMF-7.1, Clearaudio Concept, VPI Scout, SOTA Comet.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 3:42am

Gary,

while I do not disagree with Han about the effect on a stock Rega with the felt mat, I normally use a Bren 1 record clamp  http://www.bren1recordclamp.com/page5.php which is pretty much the same weight as the VPI and CA on my modified Rega P2.  That TT is fitted with a Groovetracer sub-platter and acrylic platter on top of which I use a 5mm Achromat, I found the weight to complement the Achromat, I think weights will tend to deaden the sound with rubber or felt mats but are good with harder materials like acrylic or the Achromat or graphite type mats.

Try a few combinations for yourself on the Technics, this will give you an idea.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic