FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Voyager Magic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 9:07pm

Interesting comments, thank you all. I'm considering upgrading my good lady's ipod arrangements and this has prompted me to look at other options.

Compared to the Fiio, it does look expensive and it is a little on the large side. I would argue though for some features & benefits for the extra expense:
1. Charge ipod at the same time as playing
2. Connect the ipod to other devices using a different cable
3. DIY/repairable cable option.

All 3 features are benefits for me. The cable I used for the connection in the pictures is the same that I have used in other applications and I think the cable performs very well indeed. I can hear a clear difference vs. a basic Atlas 3.5 to 3.5 cable. If I was a true 'believer' I'd say it added a bit of magic but that might be pushing my auditory responses a bit far Ouch. I think the L shaped neutrik connector also makes a small difference both in terms of sound and resilience.

If nothing else, I've learnt basic soldering competency... nowhere near building an amp as yet though!! Wink

Best

James

Voyager - HD25
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 8:06pm
I have a question regarding the Voyager. Can it be used as a preamp for connection to active monitors? I have non-computer devices (no USB) that I would like to enjoy with both my HD250II headphones and my active speakers so hopefully I would be able to connect either (or both at the same time with a splitter cable) to the line-out of the Voyager??

My 14.1GB Sony mp3 player (which plays WAV files) and my Playstation 2 don't use USB so the Bitzie DAC is a no-go. I'm hoping the Voyager will be up to the task... Smile
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 4:17pm
Dear All,

After 10 years, I am still enjoying the voyager and HD25 combination. It just works! Nowadays though it is fed by my iPhone and the apple lightning to 3.5mm adapter which is actually a pretty amazing DAC.

I have a question... for some reason, the voyager will not stay powered by a portable USB power brick (I have tried 2 completely different units). All my other USB-powered devices seem fine with such an arrangement.

Is there something I can do or is it just something in the power arrangements of the Voyager that prevent this way of powering it?

Best
James 
Voyager - HD25
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 7:10pm
Yes, the portable USB power voltage will not deliver the full voltage for long, but other devices will be quite happy with that, I'm sure.

The Voyager uses a charge pump to convert 5V into 9V (what it needs), and the limits are a bit tight before the charge pump stops working.

Best thing to use is a common or garden E-cell primary battery which should give 50 hours continuous use.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:18pm
Thank you very much Graham for the clear explanation.

What is amazing is how the Apple lightning to 3.5mm jack/DAC into the voyager clearly produces the most balanced and detailed sound with the HD25 vs. any other combination of DAC/amp I have (I have a few!). It is consistently engaging and satisfying in a way that no other headphone setup has achieved for me.

After 12+ years, the voyager is going very strong! 👏👍🙏. 

Best
James
Voyager - HD25
Bourneendboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bourneendboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:17pm
I'm currently using the Apple adapter with my Solo and it sounds fantastic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic