FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Test Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 6:40am
When setting up a system, I focus on getting music to be clean, fast & free of room effects so everything else that follows tends to be fine. A systematic approach using these tracks / albums & starting with bass:

BiggaBush - Intravenus I (bass sounds almost out of phase / weird until the speakers/room are tuned properly)
Nortec Collective - Ciruela Electrica  (window rattling sub bass)
Afro Celt Sound System - Whirl-Y-Reel #1; London Grammar - Hey Now; Chris Jones - Long after You're Gone (extremely deep bass on all, difficult to get right without boom)
Jonny Lang - A Quitter Never Wins/Hit The Ground Running; Booker T - Hey Ya; Zac Brown Band - Jump Right In; Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer (fast, lively transient recordings)
Buffy Saint Marie - She Used To Wanna Be A Ballerina LP (female vocals, sibilance, channel balance, bias)
Sutherland Brothers Band - The Pie (channel balance, bias & imaging)
The Civil Wars - Poison & Wine; Elvis Presley - Fever; Daft Punk - Giorgio by Moroder (soundstaging & vocals)
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley; Van Morrison - I Forgot That Love Existed (delicate shimmering percussion)
Michael Jackson - Thriller LP; Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand (soundstaging & imaging)
Genesis - Fourth OF Fifth (everything!)

As an indulgence I often play the following to check at the end of setup. All are high quality recordings which I like a lot & would sound good on pretty much any system:

Tony Joe White - Closer To The Truth & Ice Cream Sandwich LPs
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand The Weather LP
Peter Gabriel - So LP
Yello - Stella LP (or any Yello album)
Boris Blank - Electrified LP box set

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:06pm
the last time up grade (HIfi) I took Blondie. Parallel Lines had this when in my teens :CD: so i know this inside and out and Pink floyd. Dark of the Moon and Enya CDs for her voice
i like the female voice so my new HiFi had to sound good at bringing out this
but when i got back into Vinyl i only went into the shop for advice on what turntable to buy
but they had Pink Floyd. dark side and some vinyl i can't remember after listening to Pink Floyd i came out with my P******t turntable on the same day
My advice when going for new HiFi or up grades always take some CDs or Vinyl you know inside and out you'll know what to listen out for. A good HiFi dealer will tell you this anyway has my dealer did
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic