FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bi-wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 1:45am
Thanks for the post 86inch. Interesting to read your findings on the subject. Bi-amping is definitely something I would like to try someday, especially if I'd then be able to invest in four proprii units. That ought to be a stellar amp solution given the rave just the standard pair is getting
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 12:48pm
Hi, late on this one I know.

I had always bi-wired my two way Transmission line speakers.  I broke the 'rules' on two counts with both unequal lengths and also differing brands on both drivers!!

Used Naim NAC5 on Bass and Absoilute Wire Force 4 on tweeter.

However, replacing them was quite tricky. I tried various screened/unscreened single wire/bi-wire options from Chord and Atlas and none sounded right, improved here or there but not overall.

Eventually tried a pair of Clearer Audio Silver line cables, expensive, but finally they sounded right and better in every department, so had a further unequal set made which I sit with today. 

The 4 core enables single (with jumper) or bi-wiring and in answer to the original question settled with the bi-wire option.

More recently I experiemented with plugs.

OE WBT Cu Banana & spades.  I had the opportunity to replace the spades with same Bananas and a suprsing improvement which ever way round, the spades boosting either driver and reducing clarify/deinition etc.  I decided to go with another set of Bananas.  Then another however sets in:

Decided to try the WBT silver bananas.  Quite how a silver plug can take time to burn in don't ask but from an initial overbright/forward/bass light presentation (albeit open and great clarity) after a 100 hours+ the result was great removing the brightness bringing a very even balance with unsually better calrity, soundstage etc.  I upgraded both amp termination and second speaker terminal to the same and the same pre-run in brightness existed but once all three sets in place they were extremely well balanced.  The exercise has been an expensive one (ebay good for clawing back the 3x Cu sets!) but this has been perhaps my most unexpected improvement which again appeared to defy any real logic,.  the previous recomendation from the supplier was of his preference for Spades over Bananas!

My conclusion is that you need to be open minded, believe your own ears, allow for lengthy burn ins (silver in particular) oh and a bit of spare cash doesn't always go amiss!

regards
Richard
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 9:30pm
My speakers are also bi-wired and the right channel is about 2 metres longer (4m more across the amp's output). Low mass Z-plugs which sounded better to me than the solid ones I swapped out.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic