FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Small bookshelf speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 11:45am
I picked up a pair of mint boxed Mission M30i speakers today via the local newspapers web site! £40.00 Wink

Size wise brilliant ( tiny ) and have forward firing bass port ( what bass? ). So cosmetically they are great, sound wise they are adequateLOL But they are generally for backgound or when I'm BBQ ing with the french doors open Big%20smile, then when full of red vino everything is rosey anywayLOL

The wife likes the "look" of them, so thats OK !

Dave, do you still use the Pink Triangle? I remember them going down a storm several years ago, with battery power supply if I remember correctly. Never listened to one though!

Adrian.  
Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

I picked up a pair of mint boxed Mission M30i speakers today via the local newspapers web site! £40.00 Wink

Size wise brilliant ( tiny ) and have forward firing bass port ( what bass? ). So cosmetically they are great, sound wise they are adequateLOL But they are generally for backgound or when I'm BBQ ing with the french doors open Big%20smile, then when full of red vino everything is rosey anywayLOL

The wife likes the "look" of them, so thats OK !

Dave, do you still use the Pink Triangle? I remember them going down a storm several years ago, with battery power supply if I remember correctly. Never listened to one though!

Adrian.  

Hi

Sounds like a reasonable deal with the speakers. My main speakers are out of service at the moment so I've been using the Denons with my REL Strata sub. They sound pretty good!

I've been a Pink Triangle Little Pink Thing owner for more than a decade but on Friday I tool receipt of a Pink Triangle PT Too courtesy of Ebay. The PTT is the AC motor version rather the DC one you are thinking of.  The PSU is broken and my efforts to fix  it have so far failed so I've swapped in the psu board from the LPT. It works despite dangling from cable ties inside the plinth (!).  It was a pig to set up though and I've only managed a rudimentary job. For hours of frustration the rear of the platter rubbed on the top plate but I've got it running.

First impressions: where has the bass gone! Why is it that high end audio seems to produce fast, snappy bass but lose all the weight and power...

D
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 1:03pm

So Dave, is your question above to Graham about the cost of motors/power supplies, relevant to the aquisition of the Pink Triangle PT too ??Confused

Adrian. 

Dave Millier View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Millier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by ABPest ABPest wrote:

So Dave, is your question above to Graham about the cost of motors/power supplies, relevant to the aquisition of the Pink Triangle PT too ??Confused

Adrian. 

Apparently DC motors sound better than AC motors but the "industry" was slow to recognise this when it was firmly under the hegemony of a turntable manufacturer not called Pink Triangle.  The original Mk1 PT used a DC motor but industry pressure forced the Mk2 to revert to a conventional AC motor. Indeed many of the Mk 1's were "upgraded" to AC motors later in life (mine was) at considerable expense.  Subsequently, the mood has been back to DC motors and you can now buy (expensive) kits to convert Mk2's to  Mk1 status and  to restore  those converted Mk1's back to the original spec. Funny old world.

Mine is running fine with a transplanted supply but I'll continue to try and fix its own PSU.  I'm tempted by the DC conversion but I'm not paying 3.5x  what I paid for the deck just for a motor not much different from what's in a kiddies' toy car. There must be an economical DIY alternative...

Graham's costing is a bit of an eye opener. Think of the costs he could cut by contracting his kit out to China like everyone else.   "Designed in the UK" as most UK kit now says.

D
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2008 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Dave Millier Dave Millier wrote:

Graham's costing is a bit of an eye opener. Think of the costs he could cut by contracting his kit out to China like everyone else.   "Designed in the UK" as most UK kit now says.

D

But I'd rather not.

I have the album called "Selling England By The Pound".

We once had a "great gift" but we have squandered it and will soon collectively pay the price IMO.

It is difficult to be competitive against "designed in the UK" Chinese products, but my background is in being in competitive business one way or another. I try to make use of what is left of that "great gift".
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2008 at 12:47am
Nothing to do with the speakers of topic:
Adrian, I do hope your eye is on the mend and not permanently damaged.

One for Dave, perhaps you might like to do a little research, I recall seeing an article somewhere on the interweb, about a chap who built his own TT, based on the motor from a 3.5" floppy drive, utilising the fact of it being DC and having a very accurate speed control.
A little electronic hackery, a homemade timber plinth and IIRC a bought platter and bearing.
Very cheap motor and speed controller.

dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2008 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

But I'd rather not.

I have the album called "Selling England By The Pound".

We once had a "great gift" but we have squandered it and will soon collectively pay the price IMO.

It is difficult to be competitive against "designed in the UK" Chinese products, but my background is in being in competitive business one way or another. I try to make use of what is left of that "great gift".

I completely agree with Graham, even though I suggested China some three years ago or so. Graham was whining about the costs of production, and being in the same business (in general) as he is, I knew what it meant.

Contracting the actual manufacture out does have its benefits: for one, you are rid of the nitty gritty and your stuff costs less, and for another, one could make the jump to SMD, thus reducing size and leads, something you are always looking for in audio.

But it does have some serious drawbacks as well. One is that you have to depend on somebody else for your manufacture, and if he should fall, you fall with him. Another is that the Chinese connections functions with large series only, so people like Graham and myself are almost automatically barred from the $40K or 10,000 pcs barrier. And the last is that in SMD, your choice of high quality components shrinks drastically; no problem with common parts, but anything a bit out of the ordinary could become a serious problem. Also, repairing SMD mounted circtuit boards is not something I'd recommend to anyone.

Which is why Graham and I love our old style true hole boards. I second his view that sooner or later, outsourcing one's production will come back like a boomerang at you, as has been so aptly demonstrated by many an electronics giant at some point. For example, ON Semiconductors/Motorola now manufacture around 90% of their portfolio outside the USA, keeping local only military tech. Some years ago, their power transistors, which I for one swear by, started showing problems they never had before, not even when introduced and still with infancy woes; the problem was eventually tracked down to an overzealous local manfacturing plant exec in Mexico, who decided some parts of the manufacturing process could be skipped to return greater savings figures and lower price per item to his bosses in the US.

Knowing this, small potatoes people like Graham and myself, who just love to sleep tight every night, prefer to keep very tight reins over our own, local, manufacturing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic