FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Cartridge loading plugs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 11:10am
Thank you Tony. I thought your thread deserved a push as it covers everything and is much clearer than similar topics I've seen elsewhere.

My starting point will be fitting the Y-adaptors with unterminated phono plugs and going some listening to get a baseline. I will also try them with Audioquest RCA caps.

Last time with the resistors I used different colour phono plugs but suspect that won't be possible as the capacitors are bigger. Not really a problem.

Parts wise I have a spare pair of 4n7 Evox PFR's so that will be my starting point. As far as I can see that range only goes up to 10nF which I can almost get from two 4n7's in parallel. I also have another 2 pairs of 4n7 Evox PFR caps in my Genera, which has just returned from an extended loan when its user bought their own Accession! So I could get up to 19pF loading with some careful soldering up to the phono plugs, giving Fr 365kHz if L=10uH (R=23 ohms) and 258kHz if L=20uH (R=31 ohms). If L=20uH I would get Fr=365kHz which would be fine.

All these numbers seem precise but are based on estimated value of L and tolerance in value of capacitors. They may also be inaudible changes! However calculations are cheap, the electronics equivalent of measuring twice and cutting once.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 9:01pm
Apologies for leaving no readers hanging on the cliff. Adding another 4n7F (well slightly more with the adaptors) made no audible difference to me. I am very happy with my EXP's 4n9F from the 220pF and 4n7F capacitors.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 12:56am
Jon,
perhaps you might clarify a point here, you are fitting these capacitors across the leads in the plug here ? (ie same as the resistors)

Tony G
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 6:33am
Yes, wired just like the resistors on the earlier photos so the capacitors connect from signal to groun. They were connected in parallel with those inside the EXP so increasing the capacitative loading seen by the cartridge.

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic